Celebration

When I reached my family's small home, I knocked on the door and opened it, calling to them all, "Evening, Buckets!"

"Ah! Mary, there you are. Haven't seen you all morning," Grandma Josephine exclaimed with a grin on her face.

"Woke up and decided to look around outside. Have you seen the grass yet?" I asked with a smirk.

"We haven't seen it, but the minty smell is there," Grandpa George said. Grandma Georgina smiled and laughed a spacey laugh.

"It's fantastic!" I exclaimed. I grinned at Willy, who hasn't moved from the doorway.

"I actually need to go check on Charlie, Mary. We will be back before dinner begins. I had him check out the rooms using the elevator. See you soon!" He hesitated for a second, then took my hand and kissed the top of my fingers swiftly.

I blushed deeply, since affection in front of anyone else besides the affected I find absolutely embarrassing. He smiled minutely at me, then sped out the door, closing it gently behind him. I watched him leave, then I faced the grandparents, who were all giving me a funny look.

"What?" I asked with a nervous laugh. "Just being friendly."

"Or flirty," Grandpa Joe said with a half-smile.

"Where's Mom?" I questioned, stopping any further statements on our relationship.

"She went out to grab some bread with Mr. Bucket. She'll be back soon," Grandpa Joe assured. He slowly got out of bed, and stepped over to a cabinet, opening it up. "Could you help me set up the table, Mary? That way when they return we can start on that delicious feast!"

"Sure thing," I said, walking over to where he was. He handed me a stack of China plates, and he carried over the red checkered-patterned table cloth.

We set the table leisurely, taking our time. I set out nine plates instead of eight, to which Grandpa Joe noticed and asked me, "Nine plates? Is Mr. Wonka joining us?"

"He seemed like he was when we were coming back from our little tour," I said thoughtfully. "I don't think he'd miss it."

He nodded with a sincere smile, and grabbed the silverware, placing a fork, knife, and spoon by each plate. I grabbed the red checkered napkins and placed them on each of the plates, then proceeding to the kitchenette. The door opens and I hear Mrs. and Mr. Bucket greet the grandparents.

"Hello Mrs. and Mr. Bucket!" I called, striding over to them to give a hug. They embraced me warmly, and wished me a happy birthday.

"How was the tour? Charlie told us about Willy taking you on a small tour while we went out to get some things," Mr. Bucket wondered, taking a paper sack to the kitchenette.

"It was marvelous, as his factory always is," I said cheerily. Mrs. Bucket smiled at that and began to pull out a loaf of bread and some sticks of butter and a block of cheese.

"This is going to be delicious," I murmured in awe, eager for this feast.

"I'm glad you believe so. How long will Charlie be out, did Willy say?" Mrs. Bucket inquired. I shrugged, not really sure when they will get back.

"It shouldn't be long," I stated reassuringly to her.

We set up the table, placing the foods out and making sure they are all well cooked and warmly fresh. When I was setting down the plate of peas, the door swung open with a partially-loud slam. I looked up to see Charlie and Willy stepping inside.

Charlie grinned at me and said, "Hi Mary!"

He looked at the rest of us and apologized, "Sorry we're late. We were brainstorming."