Paparazzi

We returned to the factory hand-in-hand, nearing the gate when a thought occurred to me.

"Willy, I've got to go to work," I told him, noticing it's about the hour I need to go. He gave me a pouty face, and I said in reply with a chuckle, "It's only for a few hours. I'll be back before you know it."

He nodded with a comfortable smile and pressed a button, bringing me into town. "Might as well drop you off then, save you the trip."

I grinned at him and kissed his cheek.

When he parked the elevator, I hugged him and got out, waving at him as he left. I sighed contently and walked into the candy shop.

"Sorry I am late," I said to my boss. He looked at me, then shrugged.

"Business was slow anyways. Nothing to worry about," he informed me. I nodded to that and went to the back to get my apron.

<><><><><>

Work went by slowly, only a couple customers per half-hour. One lady walked in holding a newspaper, and slammed it on the counter in front of me and my boss. I recognized her as the woman who tried to bribe to Charlie to get his Golden Ticket. Gosh, it felt so long ago.

"Can you believe it? Apparently, Willy Wonka's got a girl!" she exclaimed. "A mystery woman!"

"Don't be daft!" my boss stated. I kept my calm, not showing any sort of sign that it's me.

The lady shook her head and denied, "No, it's true! The other four contestants from the tour began spreading this news around. They say it's Charlie Bucket's sister!"

My boss and I shared a gaze, and I begged him with my eyes not to tell anyone. He burst out laughing. "Really? Mr. Wonka? Dating Charlie's sister? Rubbish!"

I exhaled discreetly in relief and laughed with him, more nervous than amused. This might not be good if such a rumor is spread. What would happen to his public figure? Or to what's of it?

The lady huffed and bought a Wonka bar, leaving hastily. The shop was about to close, so we went on ahead and locked it up early. He confronted me as I was hanging my apron up and said, "Are you and Mr. Wonka actually together?"

I didn't answer, hesitating, and he broke into a disbelieving grin. "I can't believe it! You are!"

"You can't tell anyone! Please!" I shouted in a whisper. "I don't want the public to look upon him badly. You know what happens when paparazzi gets involved."

He was still grinning and he nodded. "Not a soul."

I sighed in relief at his promise.

"Well, I will be off then. I will tell Willy that you said hello," I stated as I left the shop. Still smiling, he waved goodbye.

I quickly made my way towards the factory, dodging people. I didn't want anyone to figure out that I am his girl. That'd be the end of it all.

I pressed the buzzer that Willy had installed at the factory gates, and called for the gate to open. I looked up at the security camera and waved with a nervous smile, and the gate opened up. I looked around behind me, and then sped inside, racing towards the factory entrance.

The side door opened, and Willy stepped out, confused when he noticed me. When I reached him, he asked, "What's wrong? I was just about to go get you."

I gestured him inside as I slipped past him. We stepped in and he shut the door, facing me with huge worry. I panted, catching my breath.

"The contestants... are telling the... world that... you have a girl," I gasped out, leaning my hands on my knees. He shook his head and giggled.

"I don't have a girl here. I mean, yes there are girls, here, but I personally don't have a girl—"

"Willy, they mean me. The word got out about you having a girlfriend of a sort, rumors being spread by the Golden Ticket contestants, and they said it's me!" I said exasperatedly. I took my coat off and tossed it aside in slight frustration.

"Oh," he said quietly.

I nod and said sarcastically, "Yeah."

He paused, pursing his lips, and then told me, "Well, that shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, right?"

"Wrong. The public will want to delve into your life like Augustus Gloop into your chocolate river. They will never leave you alone." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, pacing. "It could get so bad where there are spies and they can invade the factory and that'll ruin your secrecy of the ideas and—"

"Mary that won't happen," he assured. I looked at him incredulously, and scoffed.

"Of course it will! That's how this sort of thing goes. They dig at it, then dig further, all the way to the deepest, darkest moments of the whole thing," I murmured darkly, pausing to face him.

I could see the severity of the situation hit him, and his lips parted in shock. I nodded slowly, and sighed, clenching my fists.

"What are we going to do..." I murmured in a statement rather than a question.

He took my wrist and caressed my skin with his gloved thumb. "We will figure out a way to stop this."

I nodded in a daze, thinking deeply, desperately, to find a solution. Perhaps waiting is the only thing we can do.

"Hey, let's go on another mini-tour, to help take your mind off of it," he said with light cheer. I cracked a smile and shrug.

"Sure. That'll help." I unclenched my hand so I could take his, immediately intertwining our fingers together.

"Yeah!" he exclaimed, which made me giggle my signature laugh. He grinned at that, and we made our way to the glass elevator.

When we stepped inside, he reached up for a button, and faced me with a smirk. "I think you'll find this room amusing."

I raised an eyebrow in suspicion and laughed. "Really? Guess we will have to find out about that."

He grinned and pulled me in for a hug. I hugged him back and sighed contently, finally relaxing a little about the whole publicity thing.