Reunion

Grandma Georgina knew exactly what she was talking about, when she said things will be getting much better.

Charlie helped his parents fix the hole in the roof. Grandpa Joe spent the these past couple of days out of bed, helping with chores. He didn't feel tired at all.

Things had never been better for the Bucket family. Although, I happened to have moments where I blocked everything out, going numb. The Buckets continued to worry, but it happened less and less as the days went by. It's already been a week since that painful night, and each day, the sales of his candy kept dropping...

I had gotten another job at the Greystone Café, my shift in the afternoon. I wanted to be able to support my adopted family more, and I felt compelled to contribute everything I can to them.

I was wiping tables, and I saw Charlie enter the café. "Hello Charlie! How was school?"

"It was good. I came to polish some shoes for any gentlemen that want or need it."

"Why'd you get the job, again?" I asked him with curiosity.

"Thought I'd get a job since you are working two," he said, smiling his sweet smile.

"Aw, Charlie. C'mere," I beckoned. He ran to me and wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him tightly, not wanting to let go. I pushed him away slightly, getting a good look at him.

"Oh, how did I get so blessed to have you and your family as my own...?" I whispered to him. He smiled and hugged me again. I returned the embrace, and sighed contently.

"I couldn't ask for anyone else to be my sister," he told me, flashing me my favorite smile. I kissed his forehead and ruffled his hair. He laughed and playfully pushed me away.

"See you after work then?" I asked.

He nodded and waved his hand in parting. "See you soon, Mary!"

I grinned and returned to wiping the tables, enjoying my lifted mood.

I heard Mr. Greystone's voice from the kitchen call, "Mary! Come in 'ere."

I set the rag down on the counter, heading into the kitchen. Mr. Greystone was cleaning the dishes, and he stopped when I walked in.

"Can you wash these? I'm going to go and set up the tables for today's reservations. I 'ave an unusually large gathering today," he chuckled.

"Yes, sir. That is no problem." I smiled politely.

He muttered, "Good girl," walking out to the dining room area. I nodded and faced the dishes covered in scraps from yesterday's customers.

I glanced at the garbage, seeing that it was full. I pulled out the bag, taking it out to throw away. I sped outside, walking to the large garbage can on the street. I dropped it into the can, wiping and dusting my hands off. I glanced at Charlie, who was already polishing a gentleman's shoes. I couldn't see the gentleman's features, as he was hidden behind today's newspaper.

I heard the man say to Charlie, "Pity about that chocolate fellow, Wendell, er, Walter."

Strange... I've heard a similar phrase before...

Charlie corrected, "Willy Wonka."

"That's the one," the man stated. "Says here in the paper his new candies aren't selling very well. But I suppose he's just a rotten egg who deserves it."

Charlie nodded. "Yep."

The man asked in a skeptical voice, "Oh, really?"

I walked up to Charlie and interrupted, "Hey, Charlie. Can I get you something to drink before I get back to work?"