Five Golden Tickets

I woke up earlier than the rest of the Bucket family, since I had to go to work. Bundling up in a sweater and corduroy pants, I felt more prepared to stay warm in the snowy weather. Slowly, step-by-small-step, I made my way out of bed and to the front door.

I sighed, utterly at peace as I walked down the snowy streets. Since I worked at a small candy shop for my job, I needed to be there bright and early to make sure the shelves were full and the floors were clean.

The sky was filled with shades of cool gray and blue, giving this faded black-and-white feel to the surroundings of the practically colorless town. I had always wondered if the life and color would ever return to this town.

I stepped in through the backdoor, grabbing my apron that rested on a hook. As I tied it around my waist, I walked to the front counter, quickly observing the shelves.

Of course, the Wonka bars were in need of restocking, with the chocolatier's candy being so gosh-darn good. I went to the back room and grabbed a large box of the popular Wonka Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delights. As I was carrying it out, I noticed a flyer on the glass window of the shop and another on the nearby telephone pole. One that wasn't there before...

I set the box on the floor by the counter, going outside to get a good look at it. I read it aloud to myself.

"'Dear people of the world... I, Willy Wonka, have decided to allow five children to visit my factory this year. In addition, one of these children shall receive a special prize beyond anything you could ever... imagine'..."

I noticed that I had stopped breathing after I finished reading it. I need to tell Charlie! I thought. But I couldn't leave right when my shift was about to start.

I rushed back inside, and hastily placed the Wonka bars onto the shelves. Today will no doubt be the busiest business day we've had in for ever!

As I was organizing the shelves, I heard the shop's bell ring, cueing me that a customer came in.

"The shop hasn't opened yet," I muttered to myself, still facing the shelves. I called louder, "I will be with you in a minute."

I finally turned around, straightening my posture and smoothing my apron out. I looked up to see who was there.

A man, taller than me by at least another foot—not including his top hat in the comparison—stood there, watching me curiously, a smile playing on his lips. He was wearing large black goggle-looking sunglasses, and a large burgundy coat that had black fur on the collar and the cuffs of the sleeves. His hands were covered up with dark purple latex gloves. And his brunette hair was in a bob that just passed his jawline.

"How can I help you, sir?" I asked politely, grabbing more of those Wonka bars and reaching as high as I could to place it onto the shelves.

"I'd like one of those there Scrumdiddlyumptious bars, please," he said. His voice was smooth like milk chocolate—ironically enough, as I placed a milk chocolate bar onto the shelf.

"One Scrumdiddlyumptious coming right up." I turned and pulled one off the shelf, handing it to him. He handed me a dollar in payment.

"Strange don't you think? That Wendell fellow. Was that his name? Or was it Walter?" He leaned against the counter, peeling off the wrapper of his treat casually.

"D'you mean 'Wonka'?" I asked, grinning at his cluelessness.

"Yeah, that's the one." He nodded, laughing lightly. "Anyways, isn't it strange that he, out of the blue, decided to release these five golden tickets?"

"I think it is a bit peculiar, but it is certainly wonderful. It has always been a dream of my younger brother's and mine to see the factory, and more importantly, the genius behind it all," I said nonchalantly, grabbing a rag from beneath the counter and wiping the countertop clean with it. "But I probably won't be able to find one. Nor will Charlie."