Morning In The Factory

Willy had left shortly after to prepare a place for us, and said he would return tomorrow. Grandpa Joe smiled with pure glee, childishly giddy for the following day. Mr. and Mrs. Bucket served up a small feast for celebration, with a full chicken, casseroles, and mashed potatoes. Never had our dinner tasted so good!

Soon after everyone began to go to bed, Mr. and Mrs. Bucket told me to come speak with them outside. I kissed the grandparents goodnight and gave Charlie a hug before I walked out. Both of them looked at me, a questionable expression on their faces.

"So Mary, how did you and Mr. Wonka make up?" Mr. Bucket inquired. I glanced between them and smiled.

"Willy came to the café to talk to Charlie that day of the tour, because he wasn't feeling too good about something, but we didn't know it was him at the time," I told them.

They nodded. I continued, "Charlie told him that family helps and also said that Mr. Wonka had a silly haircut, and Willy stated that he himself didn't. I noticed him and asked him what he was doing there, and he wanted to apologize, for hurting me, Charlie, and you all. I told him that he needed to apologize to every single one of us, before I could forgive him.

"You see, Willy wasn't sure about why family was so important, being that his father wasn't really a fatherly figure to him when he was a boy. So we took him to see his father and they mended their relationship. He realized what family meant to people and wanted to apologize, and... well, here we are."

They nodded again, and Mr. Bucket said, "I can tell he means a lot to you, and Charlie."

Mrs. Bucket said, "We are proud of you, for being such a good daughter to us, even if we aren't your parents."

I smiled and hugged them both, whispering, "Thank you, Mom. Thanks, Dad."

I began to tear up, overjoyed. They hugged me back and I could feel their tears slide onto my neck. We stayed like that, and I finally knew I had my family, blood or bond, they're my own.

<><><>The Next Day<><><>

I awoke with a happy feeling, excited to see Willy and move into the factory with him and my family.

I yawned and sat up, looking outside of my little hole in the roof. It was oddly still dark out, and snowing softly. I slipped out of bed, and began to feel a little overheated. I fanned my hand at my face as I searched for some more appropriate clothes for this kind of temperature.

Wait.

Why was it so hot?

When it was snowing right outside the house?

I took another look outside, hoping to see something else. But it was too dark to see anything.

I took off my flannel pajamas, and slipped on some holed-blue jeans and a light sweater. After brushing my hair, I slowly climbed down from Charlie's and my room, flying to the door in stealth. I placed my hand on the handle, and felt that it was merely cool. Not frostbite-inducing.

I opened the door and gasped, my breath leaving me. I stepped forward, feeling the grass beneath my bare feet. Grass.

Wait one bloody minute!

We are in the factory...?

How?!

I walked down the path to the chocolate river, and I could see the dimmed lights by the waterfall lighting up the room a bit. I looked all around me, and I saw the same chocolate-covered, candy-treat tree that Willy gave me a piece of. I decided to head over across the candy grass bridge, having an internal war on whether I was dreaming or not.