4

A week had passed and I've been running into Marcus and Isaiah in school all the time. Rarely ever do I see Dominic.

Since Javon is home, he's been picking me up from school and along the way home I tell him about my day. I just felt like life was so much better now that he was in the picture.

I am currently in class watching the clock tick until the last minute. I was ready to dip out of class and go home. Just as sure as I wasn't paying attention, the teacher calls my name.

Snapping my head in his direction I say, "Yes sir?"

"Come solve this, Ms Reed."

I stared at the board and blinked.

I had no idea what to even do. I was having such a dumb moment.

"I don't know how," I mumbled and began to awkwardly rub my thighs underneath the desk.

"Okay well you can stay with me after class," he said leaving no room for discussion.

I rolled my eyes and laid my head down. Lately I haven't been able to focus much. I'm always counting down the minutes until I can go see Javon.

The bell rang and I made my way to Mr Bush's desk. As soon as I did he started shaking his head at me.

"What's going on? You barely pay attention in class now days. Do I need to call home?"

"Everything is fine so there's no need to get my mama involved. I've just got a lot of things to think about," I say sighing.

I turned to the door noticing Dominic propped up against the door frame staring at me. I thought Corrine said he didn't go to school here. Why was he there?

"You need to do better Mercy," he said.

I had the feeling that he wasn't just talking about my grades. Instead of addressing it I walked over towards Dominic. I was concerned because he hadn't visited any of my classes before. It was always Isaiah and that was rare.

"Hey Ma," he said cheesing at me.

"H-Hey," I said feeling nervous. What if he was going to mention Joe or something? He's so intimidating, I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'd crack instantly.

"My birthday is in two days and I'm having a party right after school. Be there?"

"My mama ---"

"Come on. It'll be my birthday and it would mean a lot if you came," he said easing his arm around my waist.

I pulled away and bit my lip, taking some time to think about it. What if I say no? Will he get mad and do something to me? And if I say yes Mama will surely kill me when she finds out because she always finds out one way or another. I was feeling too indecisive to give a clear answer so I gave my best.

"Maybe," I sighed.

Dominic smiled and stopped in the hallway, pulling out a piece of paper and picking up a pencil from the floor. He scribbled down some words before he hands it to me saying," That's my address. I'll be waiting on you."

"What if I don't come," I asked feeling a little bold.

He chuckled and pushed me against the lockers. I gasped and froze in fear. His intense hazel eyes bore into my simple brown ones as he closed his body in on mine.

I felt like R Kelly --- my mind was telling me 'no' but my body was telling me 'yes'. In the end I ended up doing nothing and as his lips got closer, I could feel the warmth of his breath making everything just go crazy. I found myself attracted to him. How?

"If you don't come..." He paused.

His face lingered in front of mine and he moved his lips close to mine making me lean in a little to meet them. Just as I did I stopped regaining some of my self-control and he moved his lips down to my neck. He still never touched me I could just feel his warmth and God was I enjoying it.

I squirmed a little and bit back a tiny moan. He moved back up to my lips and kissed me slowly.

His lips were soft as hell and it felt nice kissing him. My hands creeped up his chest and around his neck just the same as his hands went and gripped my waist. We kissed until we could barely catch our breaths.

When I pulled away, I held my head down and felt my stomach do flips.

"It won't matter. I know you'll come because you got a thing for me," he said winking at me.

He walked away leaving me both speechless and aroused. I couldn't lie though, I felt compelled to go. Too bad Mama won't let me. I'd just have to disappoint him I guess.

I walked out and found Javon parked under a tree. When I got up to the car he unlocked the door and started the car up.

"What took you so long? I was just about to come inside and get you," Javon asked concerned.

"Teacher wanted to talk after class. Nothing really. How was your day, Jay," I asked changing the subject.

...

When we got home Javon and I sat in the car for a minute or two. He said he wanted to ask me about something. I knew it had to be serious because he couldn't wait until we were inside to ask me.

"What's up," I ask a little worried.

"What happened with Mama and Dad? Every time I mention him she's ready to throw any and everything at me. I miss something," he asked furrowing his forehead.

I froze. I felt like telling him but I knew it'd just make everything worse.

One day Daddy was watching me and Corrine at the house. Mama had to work a double and Javon had just been sent off for the year. Daddy had been drinking, Corrine was in her room asleep, and I was crying.

I cried because he kept telling me hurtful stuff. Stuff he thought me and Mama had in common. He got angry because I wouldn't stop and beat me.

Afterwards I looked like a mood ring the way I changed colors. I was a red, blue, black, and purple mix. Mama got home and saw me and she called the police and he's in jail now. I only go visit him every holiday. He always tells me how sorry he is and how he loves me. I feel naive for believing him, but I can't bring myself to hate him.

"They just had a falling out. Nothing to worry about," I say all nonchalant.

Javon nodded and believed the lie that slipped from my lips. I felt guilty but I'd just have to get over it.