Sick!Kaito Momota//Fly Me to the Moon

Fly Me to the Moon
Sick!Kaito Momota x Reader

The sun had set behind the row of pine trees and the moon had taken it's place, bathing the sky in an inky blackness. The moon shown through the hospital window, it's light dancing in front of Kaito Momota.

(Y/N) and Kaito could both see the IVs in his arms and the hear monitor beating steadily against the wall. But the instruments only brought pain and fear to the couple.

"It's getting late," Kaito croaked as he glanced out the window. "You should get going."

"I have plenty of time," (Y/N) said, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze. "I can be here all night if I want to. You should be the one getting some sleep."

Kaito rolled over on his side to face her and tucked their intertwined hands underneath his cheek. His eyes fluttered close and soon, the only sounds heard were his strained breaths and the dull beating of the heart monitor.

(Y/N) sighed while brushing back Kaito's spiky hair. "You are so brave, you know that?" She whispered. "To be fighting a war you know you can't win."

He had a cancer that they couldn't get rid of. It was too late for anyone to do anything.

She could see it in his pained face. She could hear it in his strained breaths. He didn't have much time left.

"You're supposed to take me to the moon, remember?" A tear rolled down her cheek. "You promised me."

A younger Kaito and (Y/N) sat down on a bench in the park, pointing out constellations in the sky. This was the Kaito who didn't have cancer, the one who loved to have fun. The one who was admired by the underclassmen because he looked like a drug dealer. But he wasn't, though. It was just a little joke a little joke between the two of them.

"And there's Orion's Belt," Kaito explained as he guided her hand over to the constellation.

"Oooh! I see it!" (Y/N) squealed.

She shivered and came closer to Kaito, cuddling his body and absorbing his warmth. He brought his jacket around her, using it as a blanket of sorts. The two stared out into the starry sky in silence, enjoying each other's company.

"The moon's really pretty tonight," (Y/N) commented, fog escaping her mouth.

A full moon hung in the starry sky, shining ever so brightly. It's light illuminated the couple of the bench, bringing sight to the dark night.

"One day, I'm going to take you there," Kaito told her as he gave her hand a squeeze. "We're going to go to the moon together, I promise."

"I hope so," (Y/N) whispered. She buried her face in his chest and fell asleep listening to the gentle thump of his heartbeat.

Kaito shifted in his sleep, drawing (Y/N)'s attention toward him. She frowned, rubbing circles into the back of his hand.

She knew he was fighting a battle he could not win. He kept it together for her but she could see how he was breaking down inside.

And it hurt knowing that he would be gone. One day, she would wake up and not be able to see his smiling face.

Another salty tear rolled down her cheek, landing in her shirt. She sniffed and kissed the boy's hand.

"(Y/N)?" Kaito's eyes fluttered open and he looked like he was in a daze.

"I'm right here," She reassured him. "I'm not going anywhere."

The male tried to sit up, struggling to get in a more comfortable position. "Kiss me, (Y/N)."

(Y/N) laughed her beautiful laugh, leaning closer to the boy. "You're so direct, you know?" She whispered before placing her lips against his.

It wasn't a kiss full of lust or hunger. It was a kiss full of love. They tenderly kissed against each other's chapped lips, smiling into the kiss every so often. It was Kaito's favorite so far.

But it was also his last.

(Y/N) pulled away and planted her lips against his forehead. "I love you, you know."

Kaito forced a smile, giving everything he had. "I love you...to the moon...and back."

His smile began to seem more forced to (Y/N). His eyes list their shine. But he still had a smile tugging on his lips.

The heart monitor flatlined and Kaito exhaled one last time. And then he was no more.

"Kaito...?" (Y/N) whispered. Tears flowed down her cheeks as she finally registered what was happening. "No...No! You can't! Kaito, wake up!"

She screamed, burying her face into his body. Her fingers wrapped around his shirt as she sobbed.

"You were supposed to take me to the moon."