Chapter 23: The Wind

Jaeyoon silently opened the door to his house welcomed by the sight of leftover food on the tables and scattered plastics and confetti on the floor. The party was officially over, the guests gone and his family asleep.

"Huh, you're back already?"

..Or so he thought.

"Yeah..."

Jaeyoon answered dryly as he approached the table Minwoo was sitting at. His best friend who's also his cousin gave him a puzzled look as he sat across him.

"That's disappointing." His eyebrow rose. "I didn't get her drunk so you could chivalrously send her home alone like that. You should have had fun with her at least." Minwoo continued chuckling.

Jaeyoon sent him a sharp glare "You shouldn't have given her a drink in the first place. I had no intentions of taking advantage of her." He said as he sighed in irritation.

"Okay, fine, I'm sorry." Minwoo uttered raising both hands in surrender.

"She's going to have a bad headache tomorrow." He said worriedly.

"Relax, she's going to be fine. Her cousins are hanging around her remember." Minwoo smirked in amusement as he rested his chin on the palm of his hand. "They'll take care of it."

"Speaking of... one of them almost landed a punch on me earlier."

"Her cousins?"

"No, her cousins' friend. He was angry I didn't tell them about taking Chaeri here." he answered in amusement.

"Possessive creatures, aren't they?" Minwoo chuckled "They're so amusing."

"I made a mistake though." Jaeyoon's eyes went grim. "I think I got found out."

"What?"

"I stabbed him."

"WHAT?!" Minwoo's eyes widened as he stood up from his chair "Are you crazy! Do you want to break a thousand years of treaty between them?!"

Jaeyoon broke into laughter puzzling the boy in front of him.

"I was joking." He uttered touching the skin bellow his collarbone "He grabbed me by the collar. I think he saw my tattoo."

Minwoo sat back down with a look of concern "That's not good. They don't like hanging around the likes of us even with the compact."

"That is why I'm going to tell you to leave that girl alone." A voice echoed causing both of them to turn in its direction.

"Grandfather..." Jaeyoon uttered as he stood up from his seat followed by Minwoo.

"I thought you were asleep." Minwoo uttered in surprise.

"Apparently you were wrong." The old man said dryly as he approached their table.

"Leave her be."

"Ch-chaeri?" Jaeyoon's forehead creased "Why?"

"That girl's life is already in danger just by being a Spirit Wolf's host. She's going to be in a lot more trouble if you let her stay with you."

"But I like her—"

"Yes, and if you really do then you'll let her go." He continued "You have a different path to follow Jaeyoon, and she has got hers. Your life strings aren't meant to intertwine with each other, it's just meant to cross."

"But—"

"If you don't want to risk her life more than it already is then I trust you'll do the right thing."