Halo Reach Arc Chapter 12: Mein Kleines Herz

Things are calm in the wind in the Planet of Reach. In the network of ONI, Crystal is helping Professor Oak to gather data from his previous work before. Crystal only knew what she can for the professor. It's just for her, everything is being restricted to her and wanting to be free and enjoy life. She's a computer program, a man-made thing, with ability that beyond the human mind for a year now.

She was very strict to her work and the work only, but everything she sees Gold with Lyra despite only human contracts she knows is Oak, Elm, and other ONI officials. She felt as if like a prisoner with limited lifespan. She risked her life to let Gold have this lifetime assignment to protect Lyra from a fake order. Crystal watches the videos between Lyra and Gold in her spare time after her long hours of work.

True, she can't sleep or gets tired from working long hours. She feels that Gold is sometimes a jerk, a perv, and an idiot. There are times that Gold is a pretty nice guy who misses home hides this feeling by acting as a jerkass. But when he's around with Lyra, he feels different with her. There's a reason behind this as if he was in love.

"Crystal." Oak said to snap her out of her trance.

"Sorry Professor, I was distracted for a moment." Crystal said as she turns to Professor Oak.

"Funny, you never daydream during work." Oak wondered that he notices this pattern for about several months. She often dazes off once and awhile during their work times where she's often busy at the moment.

"It's just I...overload sometimes that takes time to ease it off." Crystal said hoping Oak doesn't find out.

"Okay, let's continue our work about these covenant species." Oak said while Crystal complied as she helps him along the work. Oak was getting there to find the understanding covenant species relations with each other. He hopes their interspecies relations can provide the key to end the war once and for all. He also heard that the UNSC are beginning to draft from ages of 15-40 to fight off against the Covenant to realize it is a losing war.

Humanity is desperate to survive against the onslaught of the alien alliance. Oak knew that knowledge will help Humanity to win the losing war, but time is running out. Oak did find that the Covenant does has social caste system and learn certain weakness that the chain of command can be broken by killing or capture high Prophet

In the other hand, Oak is checking on Gold's progress which despite his performance is better than it was months ago. In fact, he did found him a little reckless despite of his combat adeptness often began to match with Master Chief's combat ability. Another thing was that he has assignment to protect a girl same age as him who somehow looks like Crystal. Oak wondering that Crystal has something with the assignment comes from Halsey or could it be possible for her to do that? No, it's absurd that Crystal is too serious and too focused on her work to think about the Spartan.

Later on, he goes out to see with other scientists at a gathering to discuss about the Covenant species along with Crystal that Oak lectured about his theory that capturing one of their leaders that might bring the end of the war. The entire scientific community applauded for his theory. Soon, the scientists are hanging out in the ball room.

"Professor Oak?" Birch said as he comes up to him.

"Birch, how nice to see you." Oak said as they shook hands.

"What is like to work with Laszlo Sorvad in his research?" Oak drank his wine. It will be the last time that wine will be rationed before UNSC can issue the order for total mobilization

"We are getting close to something big, Oak. I mean Juniper and I am getting there to these aliens who are very religious objects could prove your theory." Birch said as he shows the pictures of the Covenant religious artifacts.