Part 15

It is early evening when I return from The Celestial Palace and there is much to do with the arrival of the East Seas Princess tomorrow, but I don't have to do a thing it seems.  Die Feng has already ordered and arranged large floral arrangements throughout the hall, which is not only pleasing to the eye, the light fragrance wafting through, lightens the Hall considerably.  

And with Chang Shan having already prepared the light refreshments and herbal teas, he is now in the kitchen preparing the evening meal. With nothing much to do, I decide to meet my 8th disciple, whom Die Feng Immediately leads to my study.

Introducing himself as Huan Gui, I motion for him to sit and as he does, he hands me a small bowl filled with mixed fruit, which I happily accept, I hadn't realized how hungry I was.

He is small and wiry, but I can see a lot of physical strength in him.  Though small, his frame is well muscled and his skin is heavily tanned as if he has lived most of his life outdoors, which I am soon to find out is exactly the reason.  His hair is black and his eyes are a deep rich honey brown which lighten considerably when he smiles, which he does often.  The boy has a calm and peaceful demeanor yet his charm is in his good natured humor, which keeps a smile on his face throughout the whole interview.  I like this boy, he is a natural conductor of positive energy.

8th informs me he is the only child of Farming Parents, who own a small property just on the outskirts of Kunlun Mountain.  Their farm consists of a large selection of fruit trees and vegetable gardens containing every known fruit and vegetable, and many unknown, in fact,  some are so exotic and rare,  they are the only ones of their kind in all the realms which they use to barter for their needs.  A farm I do have a vague memory of visiting.

He then goes on to inform me that I had found him in the lower valleys of Kunlun as a child.  He would sneak away from home to play and swim in the natural hot pools that surround the Mountain.  This is a memory I remember.  I had seen the boy several times, but as he wasn't causing any trouble, I let him be.

"Shifu, it was when I began to nurture a small vegetable garden in the lower valleys that you approached my parents.  You had been watching my progress for weeks but I wasn't aware it, until you approached my parents to ask if they would consider sending me to Kunlun Mountain school for boys." he informs me, and I do remember the event quite vividly.  

His parents were ecstatic for their only child to be given such a great opportunity, and as he already had a vast knowledge of herbs, trees and plants of many kinds, he became Kunlun Mountains official grounds caretaker and landscaper, that saw the introduction of the vast vegetable and herb gardens that now bless Kunlun Mountain, which we all enjoy, as well as the vast orchard in the North valleys, that produce all of our fruit.  

And as I am listening to Gui, I get a sharp memory of this boy and Seventeenth planting the Peach Tree Grove Die Feng had pointed out to me earlier.  She had planted it as a birthday gift to me, and with Guis help, the trees flourished under his care, while also teaching Seventeenth how to care for them.  It was also a grove I loved to spend time in, special moments with her. 

 Sometimes I would play the zither for her there, or we would watch the stars at night, other times we would just talk about all manner of things, but usually the things that interested her the most which was sword fighting.  I vividly recall sword dancing for her, the first person ever to see me perform, as I usually only performed them in my meditation cave in private, though for her I danced whenever she asked me to.

"Shifu, the herbal garden was designed by you." Gui informs me, as once again my thoughts are broken into.  "The rarest of the medicinal herbs are planted near the infirmary for easy access, the rest you divided up into categories, medicinal, salad, cooking and wine." he tells me.