Part 9 ~ Michael's Black Eye & Bruises

Start from the beginning

"Michael . . I will stay home from work and take care of you. If you want, we can see a doctor!"

"Mom, that's not necessary . . I really want go to school . . you can go to work, really . . don't worry about me" She takes me in her arms and kisses my forehead.

"Ok . . take care of yourself, honey . . the world out there is dangerous sometimes . . I don't wanna get a phone call from a cop saying that you're injured . . I worry about that day in, day out . . you know . . you're the only child I have left" Mom says, starting to cry.

We sit down on the couch for a while. She cries her heart out on my shoulder. We don't even need to communicate right now . . we're both crying about the same thing. Monica. We miss her so much. She took everything with her when she passed away . . all the love in this family. 

My father started getting really mad shortly after Monica passed away. He was always the angry type and he was always very strict . . which is why my mother is not surprised when he's yelling at me or following me upstairs . . the only thing that has changed is . . he started hitting me. He never did that before. 

But I don't wanna tell my mother about it. I can't. I love my dad . . I love him more than anything in this world . . I don't want my parents to separate. This will be the end of our family and the end of ME. Mother can't live alone . . she's too weak for that. 

She would not be able to get through it all on her own. She loves my dad . . and I know he loves her. I much rather take the pain and have peace between the two of them. I'm young, I can take the pain . . but my mother can't . . and she means the world to me. 

"Bye, mom . . I see you after school, please don't worry about me. . I'll be fine, ok?"

"Alright, baby . . take care . . call me whenever you need me . . and don't get into fights, you know I don't like that"

"I promise, mom . . I'll be good"

"And please come home right after school . . you know how your father is . . you're already grounded . . please come home right away, ok?"

"Yes, mom . . I will"

I close the door and walk to school. I'm ashamed of how I look right now but the need to see Keisha is so strong. I just have to see her. I walk to school feeling uneasy about the way I look . . but I guess I just have to suck it up. I walk inside and take a seat at my desk. Everybody is staring at me in shock.

Even Mrs.Johnson.

She's sitting at her desk with her mouth wide open. "Mi-Michael . . I would like to speak to you in private . . please wait in my office for me, ok?"

"Umm . . alright"

I take a seat in Mrs.Johnson's office. She comes in a minute later. "Michael, what happened? you look horrible!"

"I know . . but I'm alright . . really . . I am"

"Did this happen in school or . . at home?"

"Umm . . it happened . .  on my way home. . ."

"Do you remember who did it?" She asks. I shake my head. "No, but it's ok . . I'm sure I will never see that guy again" Mrs.Johnson can't stop staring at my face. "I'm sorry, Michael . . I just . . I'm so shocked that this happened to you . . you look terrible . . do your parents know about this?"

"Umm . . yea . . they know . . and it's ok . . I'm fine, really!" 

"Ok . . umm . . Michael, please come to me after school again, ok?"

I force a smile. "Ok . . I will"

I walk back inside the class room and take a seat. Mrs.Johnson closes the door and walks over to her desk. Everybody keeps staring at me. EVERYBODY . . including Justin. He has a stupid smirk that I would love to punch off of his face. I'm sure he's about to say something to me.