8. **Present day**

***

"Time to get up Mina Mina!" The daily wake-up call from white Zetsu had not changed over the last 12 months. It got on my nerves at first but now I don't even notice. I'm usually up before dawn (if I sleep at all that is) focussing on my chakra.

I have been slowly gathering charka in my reserves for a little over 5 years now. I should have enough to break free. Tonight would be the night. I was going to get out of here either way. If I couldn't break out, they'd just have to kill me. I will not endure anymore of this.

My day passed as a blur while I played along with the experiments all the while planning my escape. The best time to strike would be when I was alone with white Zetsu. I could take him out without depleting too much chakra.

When it was time to be escorted back to my cell for the night I readied myself mentally for what I was about to do. I knew the moment they realised I was gone they would send someone after me... and I knew exactly who it would be – Deidara. He hated me from the start and they would definitely give him instructions to kill on site so he would volunteer at the chance.

White Zetsu ushered me down the corridor towards my cell, he always walked behind me which was my first challenge, I somehow had to get him in front of me so I could use my kunai I had concealed in the sleeve of my hospital gown. I 'accidentally' tripped over nothing, falling to the ground. White Zetsu stopped behind me but rather than helping me up, he just stared.

"Go on then. I'll be right behind you." I said in my best irate voice as I dusted myself off.

He shrugged and kept walking. Thank God these things didn't have brains. I slipped the kunai out of my sleeve smoothly into my hand and in a flash the white Zetsu was dead, his body disintegrating into what looked like confetti.

This was it. I was alone, with chakra and a weapon. If I could get to a window or a door I could use my teleportation jutsu to get out. I ran up the corridor looking for any such exit when I came to a flight of stairs. I had no time to think, it wouldn't be long before they realised I was gone. I sprinted up the stairs where I found myself in a large, decadent room. I looked around frantically when something caught my eye. A window. I rushed to the window and tried to push it open, it would not budge. If I smashed it, they would hear. But if I did not, I would be recaptured for sure. The only option was to use the flying raijin jutsu my brother had taught me.

Without a second thought I gripped my kunai tight and plunged its hilt through the glass. The noise was loud and the pain, excruciating but I had not time to waste. I quickly threw my kunai as far as I could and weaved the signs for the jutsu. Just as I finished the signs and was about to teleport to my kunai, I caught a glimpse on Orochimaru staring at me from the doorway.

In less than a second I was standing in the forest next to a tree impaled with my kunai. I quickly pulled it from the tree and sprinted as fast as I could away from the facility where I was held.

My first difficulty would be finding out where I was. I knew I was somewhere in the Hidden Sound, but where? I did not know. I would need to get to a village or find a sign or something which could give me direction back to the Land of Fire. Once I had found my direction, my next challenge would be getting a message to the Hokage.

I ran until morning without stopping for so much as a drink. It was then that I came to a small market village. I entered the village hesitantly knowing full well every citizen in the Hidden Sound has sworn some sort of allegiance to Orochimaru. I stopped in at a convenience store to ask direction to the border explaining that I had been sent by Lord Orochimaru to capture Hidden Leaf spies hiding near the border. The shop keep was sceptical but provided me with directions all the same. I headed out of the shop and began walking in the direction of the Hidden Leaf border.

Suddenly there was a scream from behind me and an almighty explosion erupted through the village. I looked up to see that I had been correct in my assumption. The Akatsuki has indeed sent Deidara after me. He was above the village, flying perched on the back of a large clay bird as he dropped explosives down into the village.

I knew I did not have time for this but I could not leave the village defenceless since it was my fault they were under attack. I quickly grabbed my kunai and threw it into the sky. It missed Deidara and as he laughed it collided with my target – the bird. Less than a second later I was behind him, I used the Chidori that an old friend had taught me and shot that imbecile out of the sky. Of course, this meant that I would go down with him. As we fell through the air, I caught my kunai and threw it in the direction of the border.

Before I followed it, I looked down at Deidara who seemed to be unconscious so I should hopefully have a fairly good head start.