2. ***

We reached the door to the Hokage's office and Kakashi knocked softly before opening the door. We both bowed as we entered, "Lord Fourth, we're back from our mission" Kakashi said.

"Ah, Kakashi, Mina, how did it go? Smoothly? No issues?" The Fourth Hokage put down the scroll he was reading and turned his attention to us. His piercing blue eyes were especially bright today.

"Oh, you know. It was alright. 2 weeks with this little sh-"

"Mina!" I was interrupted before I could finish.

"Apologies Lord Fourth. All went well. The job was completed with minimal damage."

"Minimal? So there was damage?"

"I'll tell you later," I whispered and winked to the Hokage.

This entire time Kakashi just stood there. Clearly uncomfortable and eager to get away from me.

"Very well, if that is all you have to report, Kakashi are dismissed. Mina, I need to speak with you."

The Hokage's face remained serious from the moment we stepped through the door. I half expected it to change as Kakashi left, but it didn't.

"Mina..." the Hokage stood up and stretched, the seriousness of his face had made it's way into his voice.

"Hold on, Minato. Before you go any further, am I speaking with you as my Hokage or my big brother?"

He gestured for me to sit down on a cushioned bench he had in his office. As I sat he walked over and lowered himself next to me.

"I suppose a little of both" his voice and facial expressions softened. "Mina, look we've received some intel on a group of rogue ninja who are coming after the jinchuriki for some reason."

Panic set in and I could feel my stomach turning into knots, "Kushina..."

He set his hand on my head and ruffled my characteristically bright, yellow hair, a trait we both shared. I looked at him in mock disgust, he knew I hated that. He lifted his hand up slowly with a smile on his face as he said, "don't worry about Kushina. Her and the baby are fine."

"Then what is this about?" The concerned look made its way back into Minato's eyes.

"Mina, this isn't easy for me and I hope you know that. And believe me, you don't need to agree to anything if you don't want to. If you don't want to do this we can come up with another way."

"Minato! Stop babbling and tell me what it is!"

"This is a big ask but Mina, I need you to go rogue." I would have laughed had it not been for the look on my brother's face. My confused expression must have prompted him to continue.

"I want you to infiltrate this group, this Akatsuki, and feed intel back to the village. It'll be dangerous and in all honesty, it might be years before you are able to return to the village, if ever. But again remember, you are not being ordered to do this. You are more than welcome to decline and continue on as you are."

I sat there taking it all in. Go rogue? I couldn't. Could I? I mean I would have to give up Minato and my friends and ... Kakashi. My thoughts stray to Kakashi as I remember that night in the forest.

We were attacked by bandits, but we managed to escape all but unharmed save for a few scratched here and there. There was a relatively deep cut on my arm which Kakashi helped to treat. It was cold and dark, we were alone and vulnerable. Huddled together in a slightly damp cave Kakashi bound my wound, his hands so soft and gentle when they touched my skin.

"Thank you Kakashi" I said softly without looking at him.

"You're welcome" He replied just as softly as he finished up the dressing on my arm and looked me in the eye. He looked so sad. Sad and tired.

"What's wrong?" He looked slightly taken aback but I could see his mouth shifting under his ever-present mask.

"I feel like an empty shell, the village look at me like a pariah. I killed my best friends and yet, here I am. Carrying on as if nothing has happened. It's wrong!" I could see his eye begin to well up.

I reached up and touched my hand to his face. He opened his eye to look at me as he reached up to his headband, lifting it to reveal his scarred face.

I felt safe all of a sudden as though I was the first person he had trusted in years.

"Kakashi. You did not kill them. You need to stop blaming yourself. They were terrible accidents, yes. But entirely out of your control. You are the bravest and strongest shinobi that I know. Please forgive yourself."

I slowly moved my hand down his face and pulled his mask down over his chin. This was the first time I had seen his face. The deep scar making its way down from his left eyebrow and stopping just before his lips. His wonderfully soft looking lips, not to mention the smallest beauty mark resting just under his bottom lip. There was not a more perfect sight in the entire world. He leaned in close to me, so close that I could feel the heat from his body.

"You are beautiful." He whispered and his lips were on mine before I could register what he had said.

"Oh Mina! I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have even asked," my memory must have brought up more emotion than I thought as I found myself wrapped in Minato's warm arms with tears running down my face.

I sat there for another couple of minute as I tried to pull myself together. Wiping my tears on my brother's Hokage robe I sat up straight and looked him in the eye.

"I'll do it. On one condition."

"Mina, you don't have to-" I held up my hand to silence him from going any further.

"Brother, listen. This is for the good of the village. The village is my home, my family and I would do anything to protect it, you and my unborn baby niece or nephew."

"Okay, what is this condition," he said with a slight, soft smile. It almost looked as though he was holding back tears himself.

"Kill me." Was all I said as I looked at him in all seriousness. His eyes searched my face frantically for any explanation as to this incredibly absurd suggestion. "What I mean is, fake my death on a mission. I cannot bare to think that everyone in the village will think me a traitor. It would be far easier if I were to fake my death then join this Akatsuki."

Minato sat silently for a few minutes mulling over the idea. He stood up and paced a few times before sitting back down and gently grabbing my face in his hands.

"I will do this for you. As long as you are absolutely sure this is what you want." I placed my hands on top of his and rested there for a moment with my eyes closed thinking how this may be the last time I feel my brother's hands.

"I am sure. Give me 24 hours to say my goodbyes, then call for me and provide me with a mission briefing," I say with my eyes still closed. "Wait as long as you feel is necessary and come up with whatever death you like for me before you notify the village."

"Of course. Mina, I love you so much," he placed a kiss on my forehead before standing up and making his way back to his desk. I stood up and walked over to the door pulling it open as I said,

"I'll see you tomorrow big brother!" giving him a wink as I closed the door.