1. 12 years ago

"Mina!"

I heard my name called from behind me as I stepped through the village gate. It was so good to be home after so long away – it was definitely a nice thought to have someone other than my 'delightful' companion.

"Mina! Kakash-!" Gai stops mid greeting as he collides with Kakashi and they both fall to the ground.

I stifled a laugh as Kakashi, his usual brooding self, dusts himself off and continues on to the Hokage's office without so much as a grunt in Gai's direction.

"Geez, what's up with him? 2 weeks on the road with a beauty like you! You think he would be filled with the PASSION OF YOUTH!" He screamed as he sprung onto his hands and begun walking around the village.

I watched after him for a minute before I realised that Kakashi was already halfway to the Hokage's office to brief the Fourth Hokage on our recent mission. I sprinted after him and caught up in no time, I mean I was the fastest shinobi in the village – second only to my brother...

"Kakashi! Where's the fire?" I asked as I caught up to him and we fell into step with each other. He turned and looked at me as we walked, his single dark eye wandered over my face before slowly moving back to the front.

"We just need to get this over with so I can go and train" he snapped back. This was the first time he had spoken to me in 2 days.

"Kakashi. We just got back from a 2 week S-Rank mission and you're just itching to get back to your relentless training?" No response. I grabbed his arm and jerked him to a stop. "Kakashi, you can't pretend like nothing happened." He stared at me. Well not at me, but kind of through me.

"I can, and I will." He wrenched his arm out of my grip and continued on towards the Hokage's office.

I sighed and resigned myself to the fact that we would just have to pick this up at some other time.