I breathed in and out heavily, sweating bullets. “It was just a nightmare…” I whispered loudly, still in disbelief of what just happened. The events felt so real when it projected in my mind though… Luckily, I didn't soil my pants. Unfortunately, the pain was genuine; I literally rolled off the stool and landed on the marble floor. Quickly, I looked at my surroundings only to discover that I was doing an imaginative drama by myself. No unhygienic doctor. No creepy nurse. No blood on the bed. I glanced at the clock pinned on the wall. It was just two thirty-seven in the morning.

                Silently, I left the room to get a cup of water to drink. No need to worry about leaving her alone. “It’ll be a quick trip to the water dispenser,” I assured myself. Like what the doctor said, it was directly next to the door of Tiffany’s room.

                While I filled my cup, an elderly man came for some water too. Judging by his clothes, he was a patient of this hospital. He also wore pink furry slippers with bunny ears. I was about to say it looked good on him; but when I saw the scars of his face, I changed my mind. Heck, no.

                “Hey,” the man called for my attention. A creepy smile formed on his face, making me feel uneasy. The scars on his face that still had suture marks looked like they grinned as well, sending me goosebumps.

                “Yes?” I replied as politely as I can. My hands were nervous and involuntarily began crushing the paper cup, making the contents spill out.

                “Wanna know why the hospital is the scariest place next to the cemetery?” he whispered to my ear.

                “Um... Why?” I responded, avoiding eye contact with him.

                “Because dead patients linger here. And that room you just came from? Someone expired there not too long ago.” I wished that didn't hear those words. The question was creepy enough, and learning about second part made my stomach flip 360 on me. It was as if a morning star whacked my abdomen.

                The man departed and laughed to himself, his menacing laughter sending shockwaves down my spine. Then he disappeared into the darkness of the hallway. Just when I was about to relax, I heard his wheezy voice turn up again, “It's just a joke, kid! But who knows... Watch out for dangling chains' sounds... If you hear them, that means the reaper's nearby...”

                My stomach probably made a 720 this time. The feeling this time? Most likely Gatling gunshots. His words sent a chill down my spine, and I doubted that it’ll wear off any time now.

                “He's just scaring you… It's not true…” I repeated to myself as I walked towards the garbage bin and disposed the cup. Not wanting to linger at the dimly lit hallway any longer, I dragged my feet back to Tiffany's room.

                I sat on the stool beside the bed. She's still asleep. “Can she dream during this state?” I wondered. I held her hand; and before I realized it, my mind drifted away to sleep.

                Weeeeeerr…… weeeerr…

                A howling wind blew in through the window screen, shaking me awake. I rubbed my eyes to remove the rheum and glanced at the clock. To my dismay, only two hours passed. “Dammit...” I mumbled at the softest volume I could manage. “Why can't I fall asleep for a long time?!”

                Cling… cling… cling…cling……

                Okay, I’m fully awake now. From an annoying branch hitting the window to dancing shadows on the ground, there was no doubt that this ringing sound had some part in scaring the wits out of me. Thank goodness the noise came from outside the room; but suddenly, I felt the urge to go to the washroom. “Ugh… of all times, why now?!” I bite my lip, doubting I could hold it until morning breaks out. I had no choice but to face my fears and confront whatever creature was lurking outside.

                First, I turned the table lamp on. The light only covered a small portion of the room, but it sufficed. Then I drew closer to my sleeping sister and kissed her forehead. “I’ll be back. Stay here and wait for me, okay?” I whispered to her ear. Can she hear me?

                I gathered the little courage that I had left in me and proceeded to open the door. I took one last look at her before doing so.

                Crrrweeeeeee……

                Great, creaky doors. That was one of the things that I hated the most. They just seem to spoil the moment or bust your butt every time. When I closed the door, I looked both left and right sides of the hallway. Everything had a shade of pale green; and as the hallway stretched further, so did the darkness — devouring darkness.

                “It’s nothing… It must be the sound produced by a wheelchair or something…” I reassured myself. Well, it was a possibility, since this building mainly housed handicapped people.

                A few feet away from Tiff’s room was the water dispenser, newly refilled. Further that was the washroom, and I headed inside. I swore to myself that I would be quick as a rat racing back to its hole.

                Upon arriving, I was greeted by something that smelled awfully terrible. Nauseating. Gross. Rotten. Paralyzing. These were a few words to describe the scent. I entered the nearest stall and did my business. When I was through, I heard someone enter the place. Quickly, I bent down and peeked; but all that I can see was the man’s shoes.

                Shoot… What I saw was a pair of funky pink slippers with bunny ears! “No way!” my conscience couldn’t believe it either. What were the odds of meeting that creepy man once again?!

                “Grwaa! Grwahaa!” the man moaned, making sounds of vomiting. “Brawwwgh!” I felt the muscles of my face stiffened upon smelling the familiar foul stench. Crap… I can’t take it anymore… “Leave, leave, leave!” I screamed in my mind as I pinched my nose in desperation, but the overwhelming stench penetrated my nose with ease.

                “Much better after this second time!” the man laughed to himself and entered the stall next to the one I occupied. Exasperation and anxiety firmly grasped my thoughts. This was my chance to get out of this place safe and sound without having any contact with that man. I could just imagine him suddenly yank my leg when I least expected it.

                Slowly, I twisted the lock and turned the door. The courteous attitude of flushing passed through my mind. Besides, it didn’t matter anymore at this point. I had to get out of here. The scars on his face plus those vomit bits created an ugly picture — a very ugly picture. Upon seeing the faucet area, I thought my heart had frozen.

                Vomit. Lots of them were spilling over from the faucet onto the floor. Traces of it looked manually spread on the mirror, resembling mayonnaise. Going near the area intensified the scent, making my eyes water, but it was inevitable. As I made my way towards the door (my gateway to freedom), sensations of paranoia reached its pinnacle.

                Thud.

                Smacked… by something hard… Can’t remember… Can’t see… Memory spinning… Eyesight fuzzy… Stomach most likely decaying by now… My consciousness, fading... Something… wet, mushy, and warm… Stars…and darkness…

                Cling…… cling… cling…