Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Abriana

Three days had passed since my last escape attempt. Easton hadn’t made me wear the blindfold again, but he did keep my hands cuffed. I was allowed to have them off once a day, when I took a shower.

That all changed when his cell phone rang during the middle of the night. I strained to hear his voice, but I still managed to hear most of what he said.

“Don’t bother coming,” said Easton.

He paused.

His voice got significantly louder, “So, you’ll go to the police and say what?”

He paused again.

“That’s what I thought! Now tell me, when are we letting her go?”

Does he really want to let me go?

“You know what? You’re not the only one with evidence! I’ve got stuff on you too!”

He let out a loud laugh.

“Yeah right.”

Then silence.

“Wait! Don’t you dare-”

Before he could finish he cut himself off and let out a shout of frustration. A moment later, I could hear his footsteps stomping down the hallway. My door swung open, causing me to flinch.

“Get up,” Easton demanded.

“Huh?” I said trying to give him the impression that I had been asleep.

He crossed his arms and scowled. “I said, GET UP!”  

“Jeez,” I mumbled as I got out of bed and lowered my feet to the freezing cold floor.

Easton grabbed me by the arm and pulled me roughly toward him. I bounced off of his chest and stumbled backward.

“Come on,” he said firmly. “We don’t have a lot of time.”

My heart skipped a beat. “What do you mean?” I asked in a quavering voice.

He ran thumb over his lower lip. “Look, I can’t tell you what’s going on, just that you need to hide. Otherwise, someone is going to try to kill you.”

My knees gave out and I hit the floor hard.

“Get up! I need to get you out of here NOW,” he said with panic in his eyes.

I pursed my lips and followed him out of the bedroom.

“There’s a storage room under the cabin. It’s small and there aren’t any lights.”

Nodding, I tried to calm my breathing. I hate small spaces and I’m afraid of the dark!

“You’re going to have to stay quiet. Seriously, once you’re down there you cannot move or try to escape. If you do, you will die. Do you understand me?”

“Yes,” I whispered in a shaky voice.

Easton tugged me into the kitchen and pushed a small rug out of the way. He dug his fingers in to a small opening and pried open the crawl space.

I looked into the space and bit my lower lip.

“It will be okay. You just have to trust me,” said Easton.

My eyes met his for a brief moment. “Trust? You really think I am going to trust you?”

Easton reached in his pocket and pulled out a small key. “You’re right. You shouldn’t trust me. But please, promise me you’ll stay hidden. I won’t let her kill you.”

Her? It’s a her?

Easton unlocked my handcuffs and slipped them in his back pocket. His eyes pleaded with me. “Promise?”

“Promise,” I replied before heading into the small, pitch black, space.

Our eyes met one more time before he closed the door and whispered, “I’m so sorry, Abriana.”