29

Emily's POV

Liam led me into his room again where I had once been sulking. I didn't want to do this ever, especially not now. I was too tired to protest in front of everyone so I decided to save my energy for Liam. When we were "safely" inside, he closed the door and looked as if he were debating to lock it. When he didn't, he told me to sit on the bed. I rolled my eyes and took myself over to his bed. When I looked up from my lap, wondering why I hadn't heard anything from him, he was pacing back and forth between the wall and the bathroom door, scratching his stubble the way he did when he was thinking about something. Finally after an agonizing 5 minutes, he spoke up. But even though I was glad to hear him talk, I didn't like what he was asking. "Why? That's all I have to ask, Ems." He stopped walking and looked at me, almost like he was trying to see something in me. I put my head down and started swinging my feet off the bed's edge. I didn't want to meet eye contact with him at all. After I didn't respond, he found his voice again; still, it wasn't at all what I wanted to hear. "I didn't say anything to you when we got you from the airport because I didn't know what to say! And if I did say something, I would explode with all these questions that you didn't have answers to and comments that would have made you feel bad. I just don't know how to handle this Ems. You've always been so happy. What changed? There has to be something, Ems. I know you, and I know this isn't just a charade for attention. There is substance to you Ems." Liam huffed. I peered up at him just the slightest bit. He was staring down at me, waiting for an answer, but about to either break down or blow up. "You have to say something! You can't just sit there. Talk to me Emily. Tell me why you did this...this awful thing to yourself." I didn't expect Liam to do both.

Well you want to know why? I hate myself. I H-A-T-E myself.

"It's not that simple!" I raised my voice a little bit to confirm my distress. He sighed and began pacing again. I watched with my head down as his shoes would come into my top vision and wisp away a second later.

"Emily, please. I'm struggling to help you. Just tell me where it all started." He pleaded.

When you left

"I- I don't know! You won't understand Liam!" I cried as soft tears rolled down my cheek.

"Then make me. Make me understand why you've been hurting." His glossy eyes met mine as he knelt down to me. I shook my head.

You will never understand me. It doesn't matter how hard you try.

"Liam I-! I can't do this! There is so much that you don't know!" I became louder, as did he.

"Tell me everything! Everything! Anything! Just tell me something." He shouted. I began crying at my own self and all I could think about was how much I wanted to let him know everything.

He's giving you a chance Emily! He's giving you a chance to admit it all.

"Do people bully you?" Liam asked suddenly. I stopped. I stopped breathing. I stopped swinging my legs. I stopped blinking my tears away. I looked up at him and nodded my head as horrible memories came into mind of how girls would kick me to the ground and call me a worthless whore, even though I've never even had a boyfriend. He had mixed emotions of sadness then anger. I continued to cry. Deciding to take the opportunity, I began talking for once.

"You don't know how hard it is, Liam!" I shouted again as he wiped away his tears threatening to spill out. He nodded his head.

"When did you start harming yourself?" he asked, trying to calm his voice. I didn't want to answer that at all. But this is my chance to say everything, even though I've trained myself not to.