Chapter 22

I froze, staring at Liam, unmoving. He came closer, his eyes never leaving mine. My heart hammered in my chest as my legs squirmed to run, but somehow I was rooted to the spot.

"Hey, " Liam said as he came closer. The ever perceptive Amy picked up on our uncomfortable interaction and decided to disappear.

"Uhm, on second thought, I gotta go.. do that...uh.. thing.. Ok, bye!" Amy said and sprinted away from us. I just watched her scurrying away in dismay.

"How have you been?" Liam asked steadily. I couldn't find my voice. I just looked down at my feet. Looking at him was too embarrassing. It brings back all the cringing things that happened at the party. I was not about to relive the humiliation.

"Uh, I've been okay. Uhm, Liam, I gotta go-" I started to say and fumbled for the car door. I wasn't ready. I just have to leave. Now! Suddenly, a hand gripped my arm gently. I tried to pull away but Liam tightened his grip just a tiny bit. His hand burned into my skin, but not in an unpleasant way. It sent crazy tingles down my spine, making me almost shudder. Urgh! I'm such a hopeless case...

"Please, Hannah, we gotta talk." Liam pleaded with me. I didn't look at him, although I could feel his gaze burning on my face.

"There's nothing to talk about." I said a little too quickly. Liam sighed and held me gently by the arm. His touch felt good. I was tempted to just let him say what he wanted to say, but I was too humiliated.

"Look, first and foremost, I want to apologize for last weekend. I'm really sorry if I hurt you. And I never meant to say no. Only you were drunk and I didn't want to take advantage of you... Look, can we go somewhere and talk-"Liam started to say and I quickly cut him off.

"No, it's not your fault. I shouldn't have drunk so much. I've never been drunk before and I never will. I mean I wouldn't have tried to, to do that to you if I was sober. I mean, I know I'm your friend and you think I like Trey and all, when actually I don't anymore. But that's besides the point. You've been so nice to me and I guess I got carried away, what's with my issues with my dad, making me cling to you and think you like me more than just a friend, when you clearly don't feel the same way - (crap! What did I just say?!)Look, I gotta go. I gotta get some stuff for my dad. I'll see you tomorrow, ok!" I said as I quickly opened the car door and slipped inside before Liam could do anything.  He tried to stop the door from closing, but I was too fast for him. Without looking at him, I started my car and drove off. From the rear view mirror, I saw Liam standing and staring at my car as I drove off.

In the safety of my car, I let out a sigh of relief. But I knew I won't escape that easily. 

***********************************************************************************************

"You what?!" Amy screamed into the phone, making me push my phone away from my ear with a wince.

"God, Amy! Stop screaming in my ear!" I whined and huffed. I couldn't really blame Amy for her reaction. I was being stupid.

"Hannah, you are so exasperating! I can't believe you drunk-kissed Liam and then ran away from Liam after what you did at the party! Really!.." Amy exclaimed over the phone.

"I know. And now I'm really sorry for what I did. I shouldn't have ditched him. He'll really hate me now." I whined and hugged my throw pillow tighter in my arms as I laze around on my bed in the dorm.

"Oh, Hannah. I don't think he'll hate you. I think he'll just think you're a weirdo." Amy said and then she giggled when I cried out in frustration at what she said.

"Okay, calm down. So, changing the subject. Hailey's going away party is tomorrow afternoon, right?" Amy said.

"Yeah..I am so dreading it. After everything that happened at home, now I have to face dad. Urgh, yuck!" I complained as I rolled on my bed.