Chapter 30

Author's Note

First of all, very sorry that it took so long for me to update this story. At first I hated the way the story had progressed. And now I've found a new angle that I hope would be less cliche' and more real. Okay, maybe not more real but at least do more justice to the story. I really hate it if you guys give up on my story. I want the characters to grow. Especially Hannah, Trey and Liam. I want them to be better people by the end of the story so that it will do their characters justice. I promise I will try to be more diligent about updating. I hope you will bear with me.

~2 years later~

To say that our relationship has improved is an overstatement. But at least I wasn't feeling on edge too much around Dad. He is who he is. But at least I've found my voice and somehow he doesn't intimidate me anymore. He just seemed judgmental but I guess I could live with that. He is my Dad after all. And somehow it doesn't scare me to shut him up anymore. I guess I'm an adult now.

Haley has been backpacking for almost 2 years, longer than she had planned and has finally come home. She looked so gorgeous. Her skin was golden and she had a look of someone who has seen more than her fair share of weird things. She looked a little weather-beaten but still her bubbly self, which I was grateful for. It was good to have my sister back.

"I want to be a nurse!" She announced the morning after she came home. I almost choked since I was so surprised. Dad just stared at her for a few moments and continued eating his french toast.  He seemed unfazed. Could it be that..he approves?! 

"Really? Why?" I said in surprise. Haley just smiled as she took a bite off her food.

"Well, I love people. And making them feel better is my favourite thing to do. You know, I was a nurse's aid in Myanmar. Helping the Rohingya refugees. And it was life-changing..Plus, all doctors are cute!" She said and giggled at the end. There it is. Of course. I hid a smile.

"But in all seriousness, I really want to help people. Since I'm not smart enough to be a doctor, i guess being a nurse is the next best thing. And I really want to be a Pediatric nurse. I love kids." Haley explained and I have to agree with her choice. She is amazing with kids and sometimes random kids just start talking to her on the streets. She is that engaging. 

"Fine, as long as you're doing something with your life. I'm relieved you're back from that backpacking trip. It's time to think about your future. I won't have an uneducated and unemployed bum in my house." Dad said as he got up. Haley and I shared a secret smile. 

"I'll look into some nursing schools. I have a few good ones in mind." Dad said as he exited the kitchen. When he was gone, Haley and I sighed in relief. Though Dad has improved, somewhat, talking with him still kinda intimidates us. 

"So, tell me everything that's happened to you!!" I said excitedly. Haley laughed and pulled me and Ethan out of the kitchen, into the living room, where it's nice and airy.

Haley told us everything. I was in awe at what she had experienced during her trip. Ethan couldn't stop asking her questions. He was so enthralled. And Haley had lots of funny stories that she told us, making me almost breathless from laughing so much.

"Okay, so that's all from me. What about you, Hannah? How's the delicious Liam?" She asked and my blood kinda froze. I didn't look at her. Haley looked at me weird. Then, sensing that she had touched on a sensitive subject, Haley quickly changed the subject.

"Hey, who wants ice-cream soda from Bailey's?" Haley said as she suddenly jumped from the couch. Ethan jumped up as well and cheered.

"Me, me!" Ethan cried.