Chapter 21

I looked at Dan from time to time as Prof Simon droned on at the front of the class. I thought I had it bad, but Dan's problem is nothing compared to mine.

When class was over, both of us walked out of the lecture hall. We have an hour free until our next class, so I decided to take Dan to a cafe. We sat in a secluded corner, with a cup of latte each in front of us. Dan was quiet but I could see his hands shivering  as he nervously gnawed at his nails. I took his hand before he starts to bleed. He finally looked at me and sighed.

"I'm scared Hannah. It's my worst nightmare. You know how Ryan is. He would never be able to accept it. I wanted to tell him, I really did. I thought I'd wait awhile, until I'm really ready. I'm scared Ryan might tell my parents before I get the chance to. My parents are staunch Catholics. Do you think they'll be able to accept it? I'm so fucked!" Dan started sniffling. I took him in my arms and he cried on my shoulder in earnest.  

After he had calmed down, we walked slowly to the next class, Dan's eyes looking haunted as ever.  i hated looking at him like this. When we got to class, Dan suddenly looked agitated. I suddenly remembered that Ryan would be in the same class. When Amy arrived, she sat beside Dan as usual. She suddenly looked at us. She could always sense an awkward moment. She had this strong instinct when something was about to go down. 

"Hey, I detect a very black aura. Is something going on here? Dan..you look like death." Amy said as she peered at Dan's green eyes.  He just sighed and put his head on his arms. Amy looked at me, gesturing wildly. I motioned to my phone. She quickly picked up her phone. 

Me: Ryan caught Dan making out with Van Hiroshi and he had freaked out. He ran out before Dan could say anything and hadn't come home since last night.

Amy: OMG! That's horrible! Poor Dan! No wonder he looked like he's about to cry any minute.

Me: Yeah, he's been like this since this morning.

Amy: Crap, Ryan would come to class any minute now. I hope he doesn't kill Dan.

Just after I read the text from Amy, I saw Ryan walking into the lecture hall with Trey. I hadn't talked to Trey since last night and here he was. Casually sauntering into class. I sighed. Just then I saw Ryan staring at Dan, looking sheepish and uncomfortable. Dan looked back at him, and I swear I saw him shrinking little by little inside himself. Ryan then looked away,  although he did sit at his usual place which was behind Dan. 

I could feel Dan being crazy tense beside me.  Trey and Amy were oblivious.

When class was over and it was lunch time,  Ryan went with us for lunch,  but he was so quiet.

"What's up with Dan?" Trey whispered as he threw his arm around my shoulders and we walked to our usual diner for lunch. 

"I don't know.  He was really tense in class.  And so quiet.  He looked like he's about to burst into tears at any minute." Amy said beside me. 

I looked at Dan's retreating figure and hoped that he's able to smooth things out with his twin. 
***********************************************************************************************

"So, you're not coming home?" Hailey asked over the phone.

"No." I answered simply, a little distracted as I walked to my next class with Amy and Dan beside me. 

"Hmm, well, I don't blame you. Dad's been acting like a spoilt brat lately. He gave me an earful about my backpacking trip, telling me that I'm wasting my time and to not bother him if I get in trouble. He said I'm on my own if I go on my trip. Well, I already know how 'supportive' he is, so it didn't surprise me one bit." Hailey said a little defeated. I could hear disappointment and determination in her voice. My heart went out to her. She's got it worse since she's been at home all this time. I felt a little bad for letting Hailey become the second punching bag for Dad at home, the first one being Lydia.