Chapter 30

Hey everybody! I am back with a NEW chapter! I am so freaking excited for you to read this and I hope with all my heart that you enjoy. I also wanted to tell you guys that... *cue sniffling* Counting Sheep will be coming to a close, soon. So just enjoy. I cant wait for you to see what is going to happen next. I promise you wont wanna miss it. I'll be starting a new chapter soon so keep your eyes open for when I update and upload a new chapter. I love you guys so very much<3

******************************

CHAPTER 30: By the time Hazel and Layla finally got back to the house, the sun was already beginning to set, washing the sky in shades of molten gold, red, pink and lavender. Hazel rested with her head on Layla's shoulder and both girl's minds churned relentlessly, thinking of the horrors from Julian's past, the nightmares of their presents and the possible demons of their future. The man grunted as he pulled the car to a stop, signaling that it was time for them to get out of the car.

Sighing, Layla unbuckled herself and then Hazel, propping the little girl's weight on her hip as she slammed the car door shut behind her.

The man had already rolled his window down and although he didn't need them, sunglasses still shielded his face. "Thank you for taking us," Layla said and the man nodded once before rolling up the window-signaling he was done talking.

They turned to the house and upon finding all of the lights in the house still off, Layla felt a seething swirl of anxiety begin in her stomach.

Julian was still gone.

Where could he possibly be?

She forced herself not to dwell on it, knowing that if she did she would be a complete and utter mess come five minutes.

He was fine, she told herself as she began walking up the pathway.

Julian could take care of himself and he was late simply because he stopped to get a drink with the guys.

That's it.

Please let that be it...

It was quite the juggle trying to fish her keys out of her pocket while holding the bag containing the things she had gotten from Julian's childhood home and balancing Hazel on her thigh, but somehow she managed to push the door open.

"Light?" She mumbled around the plastic bag she held between her teeth.

Hazel nodded, smiled and flipped the small switch.

The small white cat was instantly at their feet, rubbing her long body against Layla's legs and purring as her ears twitched. Hazel giggled and wiggled in Layla's arms, wanting to be let down. As soon as her feet met with the hardwood floor, she had kicked off her shoes and had delved her fingers deeply into the kitten's fur, making the small ball of fur that much happier.

Layla bit back a smile as she closed the door behind her, making sure to lock it as she did so. The house was silent besides the dishwasher that hummed as it worked. Layla pulled up her hair as she set her stuff down on the counter, turning to Hazel.

"Hey, you hungry?" She asked as the little girl came up to her to wrap her arms around her waist. Layla couldn't help the soft smile that curled her lips as she ran her fingers through the girl's hair. Hazel shook her head for a 'no' and Layla winced internally.

She should have figured that with all the peanut butter cookies Bea had given her that she would be full and happy, but Layla still wished she had gotten some more nutrition into today's diet. Hazel was a growing little girl after all, but Layla wouldn't force her to eat if she wasn't hungry.