Eclipse Cookies

These cookies are a tiny bite of dark and light, making them the perfect sweet treat for your solar eclipse  party.

Yields: About 60 Cookies.

~Ingredients:

-Cookies:

2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour.

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda.

1/2 Teaspoon Salt.

3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened.

1 Cup Granulated Sugar.

2 Large Eggs.

2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract.

2/3 Cup Buttermilk.*

-Icing:

3 3/4 Cups Powdered Sugar.

3 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup.

1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice.

2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract.

4 to 6 Tablespoons Water.

1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder.

~Directions:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the cookie trays with parchment paper.

Step 2In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. 

Step 3In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla for about 3 minutes on medium speed or until the mixture is light and fluffy.

Step 4: Reduce the speed to low and add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in 3 batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture; mix until combined. Do not over mix!

Step 5Drop 1-inch round portions of batter, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Step 6Bake for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden and cookies spring back to the touch. Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool completely before icing.

 To Make the Icing

Step 7Mix sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and 4 tablespoons water until smooth. 

Step 8: Add more water if needed, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until icing is thick, but easy to spread.

Step 9: Divide icing evenly into 2 separate bowls. Keep one of the bowls vanilla and add cocoa powder to the other bowl to make chocolate icing. Mix both until smooth.

Decorate the Cookies

Step 10Using a small icing spatula, spread the white icing onto 1/2 of the flat side of each cookie, creating a straight edge down the middle. Set on parchment paper; allow icing to dry 10 minutes before icing the other side with chocolate.**

Step 11Once the icing is completely dry (approximately 1 hour), store the cookies in an airtight container, keeping them separated in layers with waxed paper. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days, or refrigerate for up to 1 week.

*Buttermilk Substitution = Whole Milk plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice and let it sit for a minute or two before using

**Alternately you can make both of the chocolates dipping consistency by adding more milk and just dip each cookies in halfway way in the chocolates.

Let us know if you made these cookies!

XOXO Hailey and Hannah :)