Chapter Fifty Four

Nico

I forgot that she can scare me when she's as vague as that. And I feel like she knows shit I don't even know. She has that effect when she's vague.

"That depends." I remarked to Bianca. "On what you're talking about."

She gave me a look. She knew something, and assumed I'd know it by a look.

"Bianca," I reminded my sister. "Were not twins. We don't have this telepathy thing going on. Words. Please."

I felt somebody come up from right behind me. And I just... The cafeteria was empty by now. It's been a good 45 minutes and lunch is 30. So for somebody to be right behind me...

Bianca looked at them and at me. Like this topic wasn't good for this person.

"Hi, Mom," I said, knowing this would only be my mother. Dad doesn't ever get this close to me and I could see Sally from where I was standing.

We were let out of school and Mom took us our for lunch because school doesn't give you good food. And not much. I'm still hungry.

It was... Being a teen made things a little awkward. Because now there's this question that Mom could ask us. And, Bianca being older, was asked first. But for some reason I didn't think I'd be asked.

"What about you?" Mom asked me. "Do you have a girlfriend, Nico?"

I had a 'oh shit' moment in my head. Realizing they don't know I'm gay. And I don't know what they think about gay people.

So that's what that feels like. I forgot. Because it's fucking terrifying.

"Nope." I was true to her question. "With how that camp is, I don't have time to even think about that."

"There's girls at camp." Bianca pointed out.

"Yeah," I remarked. "That doesn't mean I have time to think about it."

We talked about some weird stuff and I caught them up on what's normal and stuff now. And then when I left my wallet with them on the table (there's a photo of the Jackson family + me from Christmas in there) I had to save my ass in .03 seconds from being like banished from my family or something.

"Nico," Mom brought it up when I got back, Bianca had gone to the bathroom while I was fine.

"Mom," I responded as I sat back down.

"What's this?" She questioned, showing me the photo we put on the Christmas post card thing. It was a really nice photo. I liked it.

"Oh!" I said, making sure I didn't show my panic. "Um, after Percy's parents found out you had died and what not, they had mine of it and had me move in. That was for Christmas. Why do you ask?"

Mind you, Paul was gone at Christmas. So this was Sally, Percy, Susan, and I. The other two weren't back yet. They didn't show up until a few weeks into the new year. It's the end of March now.

It's been... Percy and I have been together for nine months.

Damn.

But anyways, Mom shrugged and handed me back my wallet.

"I don't know, stupid things that just make you think." She insisted. "I thought it seemed weird. I'm glad someone was willing to take you in, though. You're an amazing young man."

"Mooooooom."

Now I'm embarrassed by my mother. Which, I don't know what I expected. She was bound to do it at least once. She's my mom, after all. Sally does it to Percy.

A lot.  And it's great and I love to join in on it because it's the funniest thing.

"Well it's true." She insisted as Bianca returned.

"Did you ask him about the photo?" Bianca asked Mom, sounding really curious about something or another.

"Like I said, Bianca," Mom assured my older sister, sighing. "Your brother isn't gay."

The way she said it... It scares me.

My phone started to ring. Percy.

Apologizing, I stepped off to the side and answered the call.

Maria

Normally I'm not an invasive mother. But he said it was Percy, and I was curious about who Percy was. So we hid around the corner and listened to their conversation.

"Hey," Nico answered the call, just sounding happy. Which, as a mother, made me happy. I assumed they must be like brothers. Not literally, but with that sense. They're close enough to be brothers. "What's up?"

I could heard Percy.

"Hey," he sounded just as happy. "I'm at the store right now. Do you guys already have plans for dinner or what's the deal now that your mom's back and so is Bianca?"

Nico thought for a minute. We hadn't made plans yet. I wasn't sure what was going on, I haven't thought about this yet. I got an apartment. I assumed we'd have a nice home cooked meal tonight. But maybe not.

"Uh, I don't know." Nico explained. "Mom has an apartment. So I don't know how that's going to work, either. Why do you ask?"

"Well," this Percy told my son. "I told my mom about your mom being back. And she said that that was great and if possible she wants them over for dinner. Because... Because you know why. Have you told them anything yet?"

Nico was silent for a second.

"Considering my mom just asked about me having a girlfriend," he remarked, which is what got my attention. "No, I haven't. And I don't feel like being banished from my family. I got them back today."

Percy insisted that he wouldn't be banished from us and he was being paranoid. Everyone is, apparently. And Nico told him that were from the period of WWII. Whatever this crap was, Hitler three into concentration camps. And it was very taboo. It was frowned upon everywhere.

But so was having a kid out of marriage. And I had three. But Josie got lost on the way to the school and thus we'd meet her later. She's college aged. Died in a gas leak. I haven't told Nico yet. He hasn't seen her since she left for college. They were little.

"Hey, you don't have to tell her right away." Percy assured Nico, who seemed to be almost freaking out at this point. "I can tell my mom that you're not comfortable telling them yet. She'll just act like you're just the kid we took in like 9 months ago."

"That'd be perfect." My youngest remarked, sounding a little more relieved. "But um, I'll try to maybe found out some stuff? Be subtle about it. Bianca wants to see what they have in stores as of clothes now. I'll text you before we do anything. It can't be that hard to find in a new York mall and point it out."

Agreeing with that, they blew their cover hanging up.

"Alright, sounds good." Percy agreed to that term. "But I'm about to check out. Love you."

"Love you, too."