Twenty Two: Staying Strong

Ellie's POV

"I really don't know what to do anymore...." I let out an exasperated sigh and run my fingers through my hair in pure vexation.

My friends are worried to see me in this state, I know. From that look on their faces, their frowns, their sympathetic eyes, their tight lips.

I roll my eyes and slump my back against the seat. My eyes are shut as they begin murmuring about my situation.

I frown when I feel a hand on my thigh, then follow by that soft voice, "Don't get too worried, yet. It isn't the end. Think of something. We'll help you."

My head begins to whirl as I start to think about how to save Monique and Violet.

"You don't understand Yam... you don't... There's nothing I can do... nothing..." I feel my eyes getting moistened and I quickly look up the ceiling. "I only have one week. Don't you understand? I don't have the money to fly to Australia to save her if I miss this one week." I say with a cracked voice.

I hear some shuffling of footsteps and then a tissue paper is presented right in front of my face.

"Wipe away those unnecessary tears. How are you going to fight if you cry so easily? How are you going to protect her? How can you prove that you are the one for her if you are so weak?" A finger jabs on my chest each time Kim questions me.

I look at her from the corner of my eyes and blink away the tears. I hear someone sigh but I don't care to find out who.

"Get up. Are you useless?" Kim grabs my collar and pulls me up from my seat.

I stumble forward and fall onto the table in front of me. My knees can't even support my own weight.

"Kim! Don't do this. She's sick," Lily reprimands Kim and pushes her away from me.

I am sick. My heart is sick. My mind is sick. I am so sick of everything.

"What? She's sick? For goodness' sake! She's just too weak!" Kim snaps back and grabs me by my shoulders to look at her. "Listen up, Ellie Carlson. You are going to find a way out and save her. She's waiting for you. You can't just sit here and whine and expect her bloody mother to change her mind!" Kim screams and shakes my shoulders as I can't focus at all.

I feel so dizzy. It's as if the Earth started rotating billions of times faster and going at a different directions every moment. It is making me sick.

"Easy on her Kim. She needs our support now and don't pressurize her." Says Yam as she steps in between Kim and I to stop Kim from assaulting me even further.

"Ellie, it is going to be 2 soon. Go to the café now and meet her uncle. We'll be waiting for you. I got your back, buddy." Says Yam in a gentle tone.

I look at the time displaying on my phone screen and grab my bag before I step out of the room. I hear them discussing about it as I walk out.

Kim cares for me and I know that. I don't blame her for putting me down because I know that she wants to provoke me. She wants to bring out the 'fighter' within me. But I have told you I am not much of a fighter.

"Ahh there you are," the same old man says when he sees me settling down at the seat opposite him.

He has already ordered a cup of tea form me and I nod lightly at him. "She's doing fine. I just talked to her before I left. She wants me to tell you that she has seen your message and that she loves you too. And most importantly, she says she isn't giving up." He relays the message to me and I feel much of a relief after hearing that.

"Does her back still hurt?" I ask worriedly and he smiles amiably at me, like the way he did yesterday.

"She's still hurting. But she has gotten better than yesterday. Poor Violet, she has to look after her, 24hours, because Monique can't take care of herself yet." He sighs and shakes his head as if the two girls are not related to him at all.

"Does her mom-" he raises his hand up before I can complete my sentence.

"Don't talk about that woman to me. She's out of her mind. Even though they're not her biological - I mean even though she is not used to showing affections to them, she doesn't have to hurt them." I squint my eyes in suspicion as he wipes his mouth with his handkerchief nervously as though he had just said something that he shouldn't.

"They're not her biological daughters?" I ask carefully and lean forward the table.

He takes a sip of his tea and puts the cup down for three times. He is definitely hiding something.

"Uncle, please. Please tell me everything so that I can save them. Please..." I beg him and I don't even care if the people beside us can hear me.

He studies my face carefully and I give him the most certain look I can ever display on my façade.

"Alright... You must not spill this out to them yet. They don't know about this at all. I don't want to hurt their feelings." He pauses and uses his handkerchief to wipe away his sweat before he continues, "Monique and Violet are the daughters of my brother's mistress. But my brother keeps this away from the two girls. His wife shut one eye at this when he brought Monique home when she was still an infant. She knew that he had an affair but she believed that he would change if she accepted Monique. And he promised he would."

He stops to take another sip of his tea and sighs. "But after another three years, he brought Violet back. She was infuriated. They fought and she wanted a divorce, but my brother didn't agree because our parents liked that woman very much and they didn't know my brother's affair. If our parents found out about it, my brother wouldn't be able to inherit the company and lands."

"They came up with an agreement so they didn't divorce. My brother succeeded our parents' company and land a year after that. She will be in charge of all the finance and hold the president position in the company. He isn't allowed to interfere in whatever thing she wants to do. That includes her way of teaching his daughters. That's why Monique and Violet aren't close to her at all and I doubt they can feel motherly love from that woman." He chuckles sarcastically at the last part and takes out his handkerchief again to wipe his hands.

"Is that why she doesn't care if Monique is hurting? That's why she doesn't care about Monique's happiness? Is that why she agrees the marriage because that would benefit her company?" I ask and try to suppress my anger.

My fists are clenched tightly and I can feel my nails piercing the skin on my palms. This is too much.

"Think about it. You're a girl. You're a girl with no status. You're a girl with no status and bring her no benefits. Why should she accept you?" he asks cynically and raises one eyebrow up as he looks at me.

Yes. He is absolutely right. I am nothing. I am a girl with nothing. What can I give to Monique? What can I-

"Before you get demoralized, stop whatever negative thoughts. I am here to help you and help my nieces. I guess it is about time for that woman to learn from her lessons. She has been cheating on my brother too, but she always does a clean work. I found out about this a month ago bit I still haven't had the chance to tell him. He has always been busy. Have you seen him before?" he asks me.

I shake my head and wait for him to say something. But he didn't.

So I clear my throat and ask, "Do you think he can help us if we tell him about what happened?"

He nods and shakes his head. "He can help us. But this won't help us."

I furrow my brows and tilt my head to the side. He let out a deep laughter and signals me to lean closer to him.

I heed his instruction and he looks around first before whispering to me in a gravelly voice, "Do you want to meet her? Come by around 1130 pm tonight and dress in black from head to toe. Cover yourself up properly, then wait at the garage just a little further down the road. I will smuggle you in." he gives me a small wink and gets up hastily afterward.

I blink a few times as I digest his instruction.

See you later. - Thomas Williams