Four: Monique

Monique's POV - Parallel to Chapter One

Every day is the same. I have just started my university life. Every weekend, I will attend my lecture and go home at late evening. This actually sucks. The bus is always so crowded around this time. I can hardly find a seat and the ride back home is always so long.

There, the bus arrives and people are pushing around just to board the bus. I hate this. I just hate everything. Finally, I manage to get on the bus as well and to be considerate, I move back as much as I can.

After a while, the bus halts all of a sudden and lose my balance. I tried to reach over the pole but a man steps up and blocks my reach. Oh no! I am going to fall so badly.

Wait, am I on the floor now?

I feel someone tapping on my shoulder then I slowly open my eyes. A girl is standing face to face in front of me and I stare into her brown orbs. I am safe!

Her hand is still on my left arm and it feels warm. Somehow, the bus doesn't feel as crowded anymore.

We are standing so closely. I can even count the number of eyelashes she has. She seems to be realizing that we are barely inch apart so she tries to move back but to no avail.

The bus is really packed, I am serious. Her hand finally leaves my arm and the cold air hits the area where she touched. Is it okay if I actually miss the warmth?

I stare out of the window as I am really too lazy to think about it anymore. I am tired as hell because of all the lectures today. I can't be bothered with anything around me, right now and I don't even care if her body brushes mine as the bus moves and halts.

She is listening to her iPod as if the world is transparent. I like that. She's almost like me. I don't really care about my surroundings. That explains why I didn't move in anymore when the bus starts to get less packed. Yes. I am not considerate, but I am really tired. My spot right now is the best place to stand as I don't have to worry about falling.

I thought I saw her glancing over me but when I look at her, she is looking at her iPod. I shake off the thoughts and look out of the window, again with my straight face on.

After what seems like eternity, the bus finally reaches the interchange and I tap out. I drag my tired body back home and decide to finish my homework before I take a shower.

My phone screen lights up, popping out a new message. It's from Sophie. I smile as I open her message.

Hey, are you home now? - Sophie

Yeap. Why? - Monique

Nothing. I just wanna ask if you want to grab breakfast tomorrow. :) - Sophie

Yes sure. What time? - Monique

Let's meet up at 8am. See you! - Sophie

That's my best friend. She has been my friend ever since high school and we are taking the same major. She's very serious type of person while I am just, a little carefree maybe? But I do work hard, too.

Right. So now, I have to complete my homework and then hit the day.

Monique's POV - Parallel to Chapter Two

It's bloody 7am and I have overslept. Sophie is gonna get so upset at me. I take a shower hurriedly and pick out a simple dress. I didn't bother to do my hair and just comb them neatly. I wonder if anyone would think that I have had my hair done because today is a good hair day! Thank goodness!

I rush out of my house and catch the bus just in time. Bus 127, the usual bus I take. Sometimes, I take bus 97 because it's shorter trip, though more packed.

I move to the back and there, I spot someone familiar. She's listening to her iPod again. Why is she always listening to music on bus? I don't do that. Is she autistic or something?

She is sitting so close to the window and seems as if she doesn't want anyone to get close to her. But there isn't really a choice for me. It's either I stand or sit next to her. As I do not wish to torture my legs for the long ride, I decide to sit beside her. She shifts a little before looking at me with a look of annoyance.

What? Am I that annoying or something?

I thought and roll my eyes a little at her before I look ahead. I know, right now I have the darkest aura around me ever. Yes, to tell you guys the truth, I am unfriendly too.

She just keeps fidgeting, non-stop, throughout the whole bus ride and I am seriously running out of patience. I feel like asking her to sit still and behave properly. But just when I was about to ask her to do so, she presses the bell and stands up hastily. So, she is from this school? Interesting.

She looks as if she is in a hurry and she almost stepped on my shoe! I stare at her and she just leaves wiith a look of worry. I guess she is quite apologetic but she didn't dare to apologize because I am looking very unfriendly. She can count herself lucky as if she stepped on my shoe, I would really scream her head off. My precious shoes. Sophie gave it to me as her birthday gift last year.

Well, the bus starts to move again. I shift into the seat the girl sat before. I watch her walking towards the school gate and somehow, I get a weird feeling in my chest when she disappears from my vision.