Eight: This Calls for Celebration

Ellie's POV - Continuation from Chapter Seven

"Uhm, what do you want to eat?" I ask meekly after I put down the menu that I can recite out even without looking.

She looks up from the menu and then pouts a little as she tries to decide on what to eat.

I bet all the food look delicious to her since they are proudly made by my parents.

And yes, I bring her to my parents' eatery.

"Ellie, I am assuming that you didn't come and help out earlier because you're with your friend, right?" My mother says from the back as she approaches us.

I bite my inner cheek as I had totally forgotten that I was supposed to come and help out.

She puts her hands on the sides of her waist and looks at Monique for a while as she waits for me to reply.

"I'm sorry, mom. I was attending something else. I promise this won't happen again." I quickly apologize just in case she starts to lecture me in front of Monique, which would be so embarrassing.

My mother narrows her eyes at me but decides to just drop the argument.

I heave a sigh in relief quietly and point to the menu, "Mom, can I have this?" She nods and looks at Monique, "And for you?"

"I would like to have the same order as Ellie. Thank you." She says politely.

I am kind of surprised. She must be a decent girl. I mean she is, but I don't really know her yet, right?

"What about you, Kim? You've been so quiet since just now. Anything wrong?" My mom asks Kim who is drinking the coke.

She gulps down the coke and burps loudly before she grins at my mother, "Nope! I want to have the usual please, mom!"

Of course, there's nothing wrong with her. She is so quiet because she is observing Monique and me.

Anyway, she calls my mother 'mom' too because we're that close.

"Alright, kids. Wait for a moment." Mom then walks to the back to tell dad our orders.

"Your parents own this place?" Monique asks, scanning through the eatery with a look of interest.

I simply nod and sip on my drink.

Kim kicks me under the table as she tries to tell me that I am letting a chance to slip away again.

I grimace a little and stare at Kim who is now looking out of the window.

"You always come here to help out?" She asks again and this time, she looks at me directly in the eyes.

I almost couldn't find my confidence when she stares at me like that.

"S-sometimes. Like when it gets a little busier." I explain and my eyes wander around, away from her eyes.

She nods with her lower lip juts out a little.

Kim stands up suddenly and claims that she needs to go to the washroom.

I know what she's up to. She wants to create some alone time for me with Monique. I appreciate that but that makes things even more awkward between the two of us now. We barely know each other.

"So.." she sighs out as she straightens her sitting posture.

Her hands are now on the table. I flinch a little at her sudden movement and I swear, I saw her lips twitch up a little. I must have been an idiot to her just now.