Twenty One: The Storm

Ellie's POV

I have been waiting for Monique outside her school for an hour or so but I don't even catch a shadow of her. She hasn't been replying to my text as well. I am worried. I am more worried. I am like, panicked. Weren't we good last night? Is she avoiding me or something bad has really happened to her just like what I had sensed it before I left her last night?

My head is spinning and I can't seem to focus. People are rushing in and out of the school gate but there is just no sign of my girl. I can feel my knees weakening as time passes by. My palms are getting sweaty and lips are quivering. I punch in her number on my phone quickly but every call is directed to the voicemail. I am screwed.

"Excuse me!" I call out when I see the girl who is always with Monique. She looks at me in puzzlement and I run up to her. She is shocked when I grab her by her shoulder blades, then I soften my grips when I realize what I have done, "I am s-sorry, but have you s-seen Monique?"

She frowns and shakes her head, "No. I have been calling her but she doesn't pick up her phone. She isn't replying to my text as well. She isn't in school today anyway. I suppose you don't know her whereabouts too?"

"Needless to say. I've got to go. Contact me if you can get through her. Here's my number." I say and just grab her phone and type in my number.

I don't even care if I appear to be rude. Monique is in danger now. I can sense it. Something is just not right.

"O-okay. Please let me know too IF SHE CONTACTS YOU!" she shouts the last few words as I am already running towards the bus stop. I don't bother to reply her and just board the bus in time when it comes.

I am going to her house.

Violet's POV

"Sister....please wake up..." I whisper and rub the back of my sister's hand gently.

She has been unconscious for the past 19 hours. The bruises on her cheek are so visible and it pains my heart to see her like this.

How could a mother be so cruel to her own blood daughter?

"Sister...I'm scared. Can you wake up now?" I beg softly.

Before I know it, my tears come streaming down my face and they drop onto our entwined hands.

"Miss Violet, Miss Monique's medicine." A nurse that my mother has just hired passes me my sister's medicine and I have to feed her since I don't want anyone to touch my sister. She's in pain and they don't care because she isn't related to any of them.

"Please leave," I say and wipe away the tears on my face. She bows lightly and leaves the room. "Sister, it's time to take your medicine again. Wake up..." I say even though it's no use.

I push her up gently and feed her the bottles of medicine. They stink, I wonder if my sister can taste them when she is unconscious. She wouldn't like the smell.

As if she had heard my pleading and cries, her finger moves a little when I lay down again on the bed. She winces when my arm leaves her body. I guess I have hurt her back. I quickly put down the spoon I am holding and check on her, as if I know just what to do.

My eyes are brimming with tears when I can see her eyes through a tiny gap. Then she blinks for a few times to adjust to the brightness and groans when she tries to move.

"Ellie..." she calls out softly. She has no energy to even speak but the first person on her mind is Ellie.

"Sister... Thank God that you're awake. Thank God." I mumble and grab her hand again.