One: Girl on the Bus

"Is it okay if we go home later today? " asks Yam as she wraps her arms around Lily's petite waist. Lily smiles at her sweetly and nods. Yam gives the latter a quick kiss on the lips when she thought nobody was looking.

But I was.

"Do it at home later, Yam." I roll my eyes and grunt. Instead of feeling embarrassed, Yam unwraps her left arm around Lily and place it around my neck to pull me closer. I stumble a little as she is taller. She laughs at me and says, "Do you want to stay with us and watch some free show? "

Err! That wink. She thinks that everyone will fall for her charm. Well, I think most do but I DON'T.

Lily hits Yam's forehead for teasing me and then the latter pouts. I hiss in fake disgust and utter as I wiggle myself out from her arm, "No! I'm not interested. I still have to go home and finish up the essay that Mrs. Dawson wants."

"Hey. You should stop spending so much time with your books and start finding love! We don't care if you like a guy or a girl. Just find someone soon, buddy!" nags Yam.

Yeah, it's the same old topic that we're talking about again. My friends have been telling me to find someone soon and they even suggested me to be with a girl. It's ridiculous! I have never had a boyfriend before and my first love would be with a girl? No. I don't like girls. Plus, I don't feel anything for anyone. Don't get me wrong. I don't think that same gender relationship is wrong or what. Just that I am not interested in any gender.

"Mind your own business, Yam. My bus is coming soon. I gotta go! See you tomorrow!" I say as I wave them goodbye. I walk out of the classroom briskly and don't bother to smile at those who are looking at me. Well, I am not the kind of person who smiles at everyone I see. I am not that friendly.

I arrive at the bus stop just in time and manage to board the bus even though it is a bit packed. I can only stand as the seats are already filled up. It's a long journey back home and I have to stand after a tiring day. I take out my iPod, hoping it will get me through this long ride. I don't bother looking at the entrance to see who is boarding as I am not the curious type, as well.

Just when I am minding my own world, someone bumps onto my right shoulder when the bus suddenly halts. I look over to my right and see a girl, trying to steady herself as she reaches for the pole. But a man who is of a bigger size blocks her and she is going to fall any sooner. As if it is a reflex action, I grab onto her both arms and pull her towards me as the bus starts to move again.

I look at her only to realize that her eyes are tightly shut. She's probably thinking that her face would hit the ground just now. I tap on her shoulder lightly and she opens her eyes slowly. She looks surprised that she didn't find her face on the ground and still standing steadily. My hand is still attached to her left arm and then she looks at me with a look I can't describe. Then I realize that we are standing very closely.

We're barely inch apart.

Her eyes are staring directly into mine. I withdraw my hand and try to step back a little but there's no more space left unless I want to stick myself with a stranger behind me. She seems to understand that I can't move anymore so she stops looking at me. She stares out of the window, looking as if millions of thoughts are running over her mind. Well, I said I am not a curious type so I decide to stop wondering and stare out of the window as well.

There's something that pulls me back to her. My eyes will wander around and steal a quick glance at her. She looks so calm and... unfriendly. The cold hard stare she shot at the guy who brushed against her shoulder just now, I shiver a little when I recall it. But she doesn't seem to mind when our body touch as the bus jerks.

Maybe because we are both girls.

The whole ride goes like this, I stare out of the window, take a quick glance at her, look at my iPod, look at her surreptitiously, shift a little to make space for others and take a look at her. Basically, I just keep looking at her for whatever reason.

She doesn't move when others are moving in. So after some time, I become further away from her. She just keeps looking out of the window and doesn't seem to be affected by what is going on around her. She doesn't listen to music on bus. She's weird in some sense, but I don't find that weirdness a bad thing.

Finally, after what seems like forever, the bus stops at the interchange and I alight after her. She walks in another direction and I look at her back view as she disappears around the corner. My heart sinks a little as we might never meet again.

Should I ask for her name next time I see her again? Or will it creep her out?

Nevermind.

I will just go home and finish my essay.

Nothing goes into my mind when I try to think about the topic sentence for the essay.

NOTHING.

I hiss in frustration and crumple the paper before I dump it into the wastepaper basket. As I stare at the wall before me, the images of the girl flash through my head. I flinch upon realizing what I thought about. Why am I thinking that girl? I scratch my head, sighing in exasperation.

"Ellie Carlson, what are you thinking about? Err! Get back to work." I tell myself. I pick out another paper and sit up straight. Still, nothing comes into my mind when I try to think harder. This has never happened before. I have always had something to write about when it's discursive essay, but why doesn't my brain function today?

Man! I switch on my laptop and go online. After checking the Twitter and Facebook, I go to Tumblr and scroll down the posts. There are hundreds of love quotes on the page. Usually, I will just scroll through without even taking a good look at it, but today, I stare extremely intensely at those posts.

It makes me feel weird. I am not in love, am I? I have never been in love before. How would I know what it feels like to be in love? No, there's no way I would ask Yam about it. Maybe I should ask James.

I grab my phone on my pillow and press on James' phone number.

"Hello?"

"Oh hi, Ellie."

"Erm.. buddy, I need to ask you something."

"Hmm? What's the matter?"

"James, you must not tell anyone about it, okay?"

"Alright?"

"Hmm.. how does it feel to be in love?"

○ ○ ○ ○

Author's note: So, did the chapter interest you? Tell me your insights. Your comments are well appreciated.