Ten: Monique's Happy Heart

Monique's POV - Parallel to Chapter Seven and Eight

We have been waiting for Ellie to wake up for the past ten minutes or so. The serene look on her face makes my heart flutter wildly. I know this is crazy, but I am going to admit that, yes I like her.

"Ellieeeeee!" Kim shouts as she pats Ellie's cheek though it's useless.

I am a little displeased with that as people look at us as if we are weirdos.

"Where am I?" I hear Ellie ask.

I look down and see Kim, crouching over her petite body.

"You're at the interchange, dude. Get up. It isn't nice to lie on the ground for tten minutes with people staring at me like a weirdo." Grumbles Kim as she pushes Ellie up.

"Kim?" Ellie calls out. Then, Kim goes to face her and squats down just so that Ellie can see her.

"Now kiddy, can we go now?" Asks Kim patiently.

Is this how they always communicate? Does everyone treat Ellie like a small kid because of her baby face and height?

"Are you really okay?" I ask out of concern.

It seems like she doesn't know what's going on around her.

"Hey! She's talking to you." Kim somehow grunts and turn Ellie around roughly to face me.

I would appreciate it if she did it gentler.

"Can you walk?" I ask again.

She just stares at me with her mouth agape. Her eyelids are half close. Is she okay?

Before I know it, Kim gives her a hard smack on the back of her head.

She snaps her head around and glares at Kim who is looking at her fingers nonchalantly. "What do you want??" Ellie sounds pissed.

I think Kim is getting as impatient as me as well when Ellie is not responding to me.

Kim sighs and smile at me, "I'm sorry, Monique. This kiddo is not at her best condition. I might have to bring her home now and thank you for staying with me for the past 10 minutes so that I don't feel so awkward fanning a dead body."

I take notice of Ellie's reaction. She looks confused. I don't really want to go now since she hasn't really introduced herself to me yet. I want to converse with her properly. That's my wish.

I watch as the two whisper and then Kim breaks into a fit of laughter. What's funny? It's amusing seeing Kim laugh while Ellie still has the same confused look.

My eyebrow arches up when it begins to get awkward as I am standing there like a fool with Kim laughing out loud.

I fiddle with the papers in my hands, hoping that Ellie would notice how I feel awkward and rescue me.

Ellie nudges on Kim's stomach to stop the crazy laughter and throws an irritable look. Can she read my mind?

"Ellie, this is Monique." Kim finally gets back to composure and introduces me with her best formal tone.

I smile at Ellie with my cheeks feeling a bit hot when she grins at me.

She is really charming. Does she have a girlfriend?

Besides that, she isn't doing anything else. Can't she introduce herself properly? Or is it that she isn't interested in knowing me? But, it can't be-

"Uhm...Hello Monique. I am E-Ellie." She is actually stuttering. The further proven the point that Kim hinted me earlier on.

I don't care when Kim walks farther away. That's good actually. I just want some time with Ellie to get to know each other more.