Six: Monique's Thoughts

Monique's POV - Parallel to Chapter Three

The street is ghostly quiet. I rub the sides of my arms as I walk towards the bus stop. It is 12am now and I have just ended my work. I have stayed a little over at Sophie's house and we managed to finish our pair work. She insisted me to stay overnight just now as it is rather late but I declined as my parents won't be happy if I stay without informing them earlier.

I hear the car zooming by as I am approaching the bus stop. There is someone waiting for the last bus as well. She's looking down at her hands or something and seems to be not bothered by my presence. Somehow, she seems familiar. I sit down next to her with a gap in between.

She is really familiar. I keep looking at her, and as if she could sense that someone is looking at her, she looks up and my heart literally skips a beat. It's the girl who almost stepped on my shoes, two days ago. Well, not that I'm vengeful or whatever, just that I remember her this way. Oh, and she saved me before, too.

Before I could react, she turns away and avoids my gaze. Is she scared of me or something? I didn't mean to stare at her that day, though.

She starts playing with her fingers and keeps fidgeting. I don't understand why people fidget. Is it because they feel uncomfortable? Is she feeling uncomfortable around me?

The second thought makes my chest feel a little heavier so I decide to just look at the empty street as I listen to the rustling sound of the leaves. I yawn quietly after a few minutes of waiting. Don't tell me I have missed the last bus. But it can't be because she's waiting for the bus too. Right, I will just wait with her. Since tomorrow is Saturday, I don't have to get up early for school.

Finally, the headlight of the bus shines through the dark street and I get up as the bus stops in front of us. She doesn't even move when I got up. I frown a little and walk towards the bus entrance, then I see from the reflection that she's still sitting down, "Are you coming?" I ask as I turn back to look at the dazing girl.

She flinch a little and then stands up hastily and nods. This girl is really something. I am curious about her. For your information, I don't always get so interested in trying to understand people.

I hop in the bus and she follows after. The bus is empty, great. I don't have to squeeze with people like I always do when I am going home. I hate crowds.

I watch her from the corner of my eye as she moves further back in. I didn't expect her to sit beside me though. I take out my earphones and listen to the music. Yes, I know I said that I don't listen to music on bus but after I see her listening to music every time, I tried it out just yesterday and I found out that the bus ride doesn't feel so lonely anymore.

My fringe falls off and I push my hair back as I run my fingers through my hair to untangle some messy knots. My hair feels dry after I dyed it that day. Christina Perri - Distance is playing in my playlist and I close my eyes to enjoy the soothing voice.

A pungent smell hits me through my nose and my eyes snap open. A head is in my vision and the person sitting in front of me doesn't seem to be conscious. He's drunk, I suppose. I really can't stand the smell. I stand up and move back. Then something pulls me to the girl. I can make up an excuse if she asked me why I sit beside her later. It is too dangerous to be alone when a drunk man is with you.

She watches me as I proceed to sit beside her. "He smells. You don't mind me sitting here, do you?" I ask her softly. She just shakes her head with a daze look and I simply smile as I put my earphones back.

She looks uptight and I just there quietly as the bus drives by the empty highway. Should I start a conversation? I want to know more about her but I am afraid she might think that I am weird. We've only seen each other twice before and yet, she leaves such an impression on me.

Before I could stop myself, the words come out from my mouth automatically, "I see you every time."

I turn to look at her with the corner of my lips tugging upward a little. Her mouth is agape and she looks extremely adorable. I just feel like pinching her cheeks. I chuckle at how she looks and wait for her to reply, if she has any.

"I..I uhm, me too." She says shortly and fidgets a little. Is she not interested in starting a conversation with me? Maybe she doesn't want to talk.

"Really? That's good." I reply and look ahead. Since she doesn't feel like talking, I shouldn't bother her right? What if she thinks that I am a creep?

However, I can feel her staring at me even though I am looking ahead. The drunk man is now snoring loudly and I ask without looking, "Is there something on my face?"

She really jumps up and quickly looks out of the window as I caught her off guard. I laugh a little through my nose and peep at her. Her ears are red and I guess she's embarrassed. She must be a very shy girl.

The snores get louder as time passes by. My butt starts to ache because of the long ride. The bus driver drives with extra care, in another term, slower as it is rather dark now. I shift slightly away from her to soothe my aching butt. I hope she wouldn't think that I hate being close to her.

Then, after a few more minutes, the bus reaches the interchange and I tap out first. I didn't bother the drunk man as it is not my nature to interact with strangers, let alone a drunk guy. But the girl's case is special, I have to clarify.

I walk away without saying good bye to her. I don't want to say good bye. I have learnt from my lecturer that if you bid someone farewell, it means that you won't see him/her again. I want to see her again and again. For as long as it takes to make her talk to me first.

I reach home with a tired body and my mother is heating up some soup for me. My phone screen lights up as Sophie sends me a text to confirm that I am home by now.

Sophie, there's something I want to tell you. Will you come over my house tomorrow at 1pm?

I wait for a while before my phone vibrates.

Alright. See you tomorrow! - Sophie

I am going to tell her my experience with the girl. I need to tell someone. I am not sure of what exactly I am feeling but I really want to see her again.