Nine: Confession

Monique's POV - Before and Parallel to Chapter Five

"What is it that you want to talk about?" Asks Sophie when she enters my room.

She puts down her bag on the bed and slumps herself down as well.

I sit beside her and tug on my bed sheet lightly as I don't really know where to start.

She patiently waits for me to start and I know that it would waste mine and her time if I continue dragging this on.

I cough to clear my tensed throat and say, "I...think I like someone. "

"You what?" She asks in surprise.

I swallow my spit down and repeat myself, "I think I like someone. But the person is not from our school."

Her mouth is agape and she looks as if she couldn't let the information sink in.

Is it that surprising that I like someone?

"So...what do you think?"

"What do you mean by what do I think? It is good! I thought that you don't like people." She mumbles the last part but I caught it clearly.

I give a light smack on her thigh and we giggle together. "So...tell me, who is he?"

My heart skips a beat when she asks me. I have totally forgotten that I like a girl.

A girl.

This is wrong. She will be disgusted and maybe avoid me next time. What do I do now? I am so silly for confessing about the person I like.

"I..." I can't bring myself to say it. She frowns and tilts her head to the side a little as she observes me.

"Just say it. I will keep it a secret." She assures me.

I know that she will keep it a secret, but will she feel disgusted by me?

"I think...it is better not to. Maybe some other day?" I give her a forced smile and hope that she will drop the subject.

But being a persistent girl like her will make my hope crash. "No. You should finish something that you've started."

I sigh inaudibly and look away. I really can't tell her. My inner self is struggling so hard.

If I told her, she might feel disgusted. If I didn't, she might think that I don't trust her for that and this might ruin our friendship as well. I am doomed.

"I...need some more time, Sophie. Please.." I plead a little with my round eyes that I know most people can't resist.

When an ice princess pleads you with a puppy look, who can resist?

"Don't give me that look, Monique. I promise I won't say it. Come on, just share it with me!" She whines a little.

I bite my tongue and close my eyes for a moment. This is now or never. I shall test the water first before I give all out.

Come on, Monique you're smart. Think of a way.

When I open my eyes, she is staring at me as if I'm an alien.

"What's wrong with you?" She asks me weirdly.

I shake my head and quetions her carefully, "Uhm...what do you think about Ellen and Portia?"

She furrows her eyebrows and places her index finger on her lower lips and thinks. "They're cute together."

"And what do you think about Neil and David?" I ask again.