Chapter 18: Everybody's Got A Darkside

Dear lovely readers, thank you so much for reading! Truth is, I'd write Lyla's Story whether people read it or not, but all of the kind comments and motivation really make it more fun to write!

Special thanks to aleafinabook, wholockavenger, and WritersBlock039!

Wholockavenger, you're comments always make me laugh. The little things seem to set you into a fangirling fit, and it always makes me happy. Also, I promise I am not stalking you and putting the music you listen to in my fanfic.

WritersBlock, I love all of the comments you leave. They're funny and insightful, and it always brings a smile to my face when you pick up on something I thought was funny when I wrote it. Words cannot describe how much your comments make me happy.

Madi, you're my little sister, and I love ya. You always push me (rather forcefully) to keep writing, and without you I may have even forgotten about this beautiful little story. You're amazing. One of these days I'm going to meet you.

And for all 5,565 of you who have read this story, thank you. Not only have you shocked my friends and I on the sheer number of readers, but you inspire me to continue. Thanks.

Oh, by the way, there is some heavy duty plot twisting coming up. Also some EXTREMELY heavy duty FitzSimmons.

And sorry about the false alarm. I accidentally posted a blank chapter instead of this.

-Maddie

-Entry created on: 5/22/2013-

Nat wouldn't tell me what I'd missed, and it was almost infuriating. I needed someone, anyone to tell me what had gone on, but no one would.

I also began to notice something I didn't before- Bruce seemed different.

He was still quiet and kind, but entire body was faintly tinted green. I knew he was upset about something.

He wasn't the only one, either. Steve seemed quieter than he had been in the time I knew him. Natasha was somehow gentler than she had been so far with me, as if sparing my feelings. Clint even suggested playing I-Spy for a little while, before we went on our mission. Thor tried to convince me to stay behind and play taser-tag with Darcy.

The one who seemed the worse, though, was Pepper. Red rings surrounded her eyes. Her cheeks were streaked with tears that had begun stealing the makeup from her face, leaving pale trails behind it.

I knew it had something to do with Tony. The worst part was that I couldn't even find out where he was, let alone what he did.

Even worse, Dia taunted me about it in the back of my head.

'He's probably dead. You started liking him, and he's dead. You're a good luck charm, aren't you? Oh, maybe he's under Loki's control. I bet he is. Maybe he's killed people. I bet he has. That would kill him, wouldn't it? He tries so hard to change so that his genius wouldn't hurt people, and then BAM! He's slaughtered a small town!'

"Shut up," I muttered, holding my head in my hands.

"Ly? You all right?" Ava asked, sitting down next to me.

We (As in Matt, Ava, Devon, Jemma, Leo, Grant, and myself) had been hanging out in FitzSimmons's lab as we waited for Clint, who had been shot in the shoulder while I was unconscious, to finish his med-check. For some reason, he seemed to be the only one on the team who actually took damage from battles. Even Natasha, who went everywhere with guns blazing and personal safety at the back of her mind, seemed to never get anything more than a scrape. I was slightly suspicious of it, but made no attempt to ask her why.