Chapter Seven: What's going on?!?

-Entry created on: 5/19/2013-

Ava and I finished talking a while later, and I quickly went upstairs to see if any news had come in on Loki. I felt a bit guilty I happily talked with Ava while my dad could be dying, but I let it pass.

"Any news?" I asked Natasha, who was typing something into a laptop. I assumed it was someone from SHIELD. I later found out that she was in a ChatRoom with the other Avengers.

"Not yet," She simply stated, ignoring me and focusing on the laptop.

I sighed, giving up trying to talk to her and heading towards the kitchen. In which, I met Pepper again.

"Hi Ms. Potts," I respectfully greeted her.

"You can call me Pepper," She smiled kindly. "Rough day, huh?"

I liked her a lot from the start, and that feeling hasn't changed. I nodded simply, answering her question.

"So you're an Avenger now, huh?" She once again made an attempt to start an conversation.

"If you said that to anyone this morning, I'd have thought you were an asylum escapee," I darkly joked.

"Did you not tell people about your powers before?" She asked, not quite catching the joke.

"I didn't have powers before," I sighed, playing around with my fingers. One hand seemingly began to fade out of existence. I clenched my hands nervously, and it came back. I quickly burried my face in them.

"This all happened to you this morning?" Pepper looked very curious.

I picked my head up and gave a slight shrug in response. "I've had worse mornings..."

"What could possibly be worse?" She asked, now more concerned than curious.

Memories of the horrid hospital room, my bald and sickly mother, the doctor telling me that this might be the last time we talked for a while, my mom's last words....

Just be you. That's great enough.

Those words were the last to ever come out of her mouth. I could never quite understand what she meant, even though it seemed simple. What's great about me, anyways? It's an effort to put down the blades before I do the damage, now.

I remember the conversation vividly.

"Mom, I love you," I promised as soon as I was through the doorway.

"Lyla Anne Davidson, there will be pleanty time for I~love~you's later. First off, I need to tell you something," Even when she was on her death bed she was strong.

"What is it, Mom?" I asked, sitting in the chair on her bedside in the small white room, taking her hand.

She seemed hesitant, like she was holding something back. Finally, she continued.

"I know about your channel," She smiled.

I never meant for her to see it, but I didn't interrupt.

"I think it's brilliant. You're going to do some good some day, I know it."

"Thanks Mom. It doesn't matter now, though," I choked back tears.

"It matters more than anything right now. Please don't give up living after I go," She begged. "Your dad, he loves you very much. Don't forget that. I'll be looking out for you, every single second. And most of all, do great things. I believe in you."

"Mom, how can I be great?" I whispered in between tears.

"Just be you. That's great enough," She smiled brightly.