Chapter Two- Close Encounters with the Annoying Kind

-Entry created on: 5/19/2013-

I stumbled in the air, trying to fly away.

What do I do?!? Come on Lyla, it can't be that hard!

I managed to get around so I could put my feet on the glass, and I pushed off to give me a boost. I shot off the wall, soaring through the air. I'm not sure how, but I willed myself to go faster, zipping past clouds.

I relaxed, knowing no one could get to me way out here. I slowed down to a glide, flying close to the clouds and running my hands throough them. They felt good on my hands, the cold water particles waking me up.

Of course, I was wrong. After the rush of the wind died down, I heard a different noise.

Engines.

Or at least some kind of rocket.

I turned around, seeing a red and gold shape flying in the distance. It was too small to be any kind of plane, and too big to be a bird. I recognized it of course. Iron Man.

He and the other Avengers were all all of my friends would talk about. They saved New York. They were real heroes.

I had idolized Iron Man. Back then, I knew that the billionare Anthony Stark said he was Iron Man, but I couldn't believe it.

Then, I didn't really like him. Actually, I hated him. In my mind, he was extremely cocky and vain, and took everything God gave him for granted. It's a bit ironic, actually.

Anyways, Iron Man was my hero. This may sound childish, but I had my reasons.

I was in New York with my friend Devon during the Battle of New York.

It was before my mom died. Over summer break, I wanted to do a vlog of Devon and I exploring New York with my new go-pro mini that Ava had given me for my birthday. It was small enough to be hidden on a pair of glasses and took high quality videos. My mom took us, and we had a great time.

Until a giant freaking portal opened above Stark Towers.

Everyone thought it was some publicity stunt created by the one and only Anthony Stark. Turns out it wasn't- it was a giant alien army.

A few of the aliens surrounded us, shooting my mom. Before they could take a shot at Devon and I, Iron Man shot repulser beams at them. He picked us up and brought us to where the police were bringing people underground to keep them safe. They helped my mom, who survived the shot, but was extremely injured.

Not knowing this, I stayed above ground to try to help people get inside. I had forgotten about the go-pro that I had put on my headband. I watched as Iron Man flew out to catch a nuclear rocket that the government had sent to stop the aliens, and he flew it into the portal to make sure it didn't kill us all, even though he knew he probably wouldn't make it back alive, catching it all on camera.

I got to see a hero in action.

Plus, I had amazing bragging rights.

Even if Tony Stark claims to be him, I won't believe it until I see it.

I watched him in awe, wondering if he was going to stop Loki and save us again. Studying the angle at which he was flying, I knew he was not flying past me. He was flying AT me.

I panicked, and started flying away as fast as I could.

What would you do in my shoes? I was a kid, and I was scared.

I tried to keep flying, but I felt gravity pulling at me. Peeking at my arm, I saw it was getting more visible. What does that mean?

"Hey! Kid! Stop!" He yelled after me, right at my heels. He reached out, grabbing hold of my ankle, causing me to stop.