Chapter 24: I'll always need you

I sit on the ground for at least an hour, with my eyes closed. Then there's a knock on my door.
"Astrid? Can I come in?" Mitchell says.

I open my eyes and sit up straight.
"Sure."

As soon as he walks into the room, I know he's found out somehow. I've never seen my baby brother look so worried.
"I've just been online. Is it true?"
He says, sitting on the end of my bed.

I look down on my lap.

"Is he the same guy you go to school with?"

I nod, then I look up at Mitchell. Even though he is way younger, he's one smart kid.

"But I didn't know who he was, honestly. Even though we're in the same class, I've never talked to him or taken any interest in him."

Mitchell sighs. "I'm sorry Ast, I can't help you. I don't have any ideas on what I can do."

"It's okay Mitch, I understand."

---

The next day, I meet up with Casey. But as soon as I see her, I know something's seriously wrong. She's wearing an enormous burgundy Puffa jacket, a huge pair of green wellies and a Russian style fake fur hat, and for once she hasn't managed to make a weird combo look cool.
"What's happened?" We both say at exactly the same time.

"Jinx!" We both say at exactly the same time. We look at each other for a second before we burst out laughing. Then Casey hugs me as the laughter quickly turns into tears.

"I can't breathe." I splutter, trying to remove my face from the humungous jacket.

"Sorry sorry." Casey takes a step back. "How bout we head to the cafe?"

"Sounds good."

By the time we get to the cafe, I'm feeling even better. I'm still quite happy no one can recognise me yet as the person who tried to break Hiccup and Heather's relationship. As long as I can avoid the internet for the next year, I should be fine.

We order milkshakes and find a table at the back. Normally I like to sit facing the door so that I can people watch, but not today. Today I instinctively sit with my back to the rest of the room, just in case.

"You know what, Astrid, it's Hiccup's loss." Casey says, unzipping her Puffa jacket after I tell her the whole story. "You'll get over this eventually and move on, but if he's the kind of guy who can be so deceitful then he'll never be truly happy."

I nod, wishing that I could believe him. "Thank you. I'm so glad I've still got you. And you know what? No matter what happens in the future, even if I do one day, by some miracle, meet a genuine Prince Charming, no one could ever replace you. I'll always need my best friend."

-=+=-
Hi y'all! Okay I'm so so so so so so soo sorry I've been away for so long, I guess I don't really have a genuine explanation this time, I suppose I've just been avoiding this, and wattpad in general. I'm not sure why, but something made me do that. But I assure you, I will finish this book. Definitely. I can't tell you when exactly I can do that, but I will finish it.

I love you guys ❤️❤️