Chapter 10: New York

ASTRID
"Alright guys you are old enough now, you can go out in groups to explore. But make sure you're at the place you're staying at by 6 pm." Miss Penny was giving us a little 'pep talk' before we went off.

But I just watch the bright yellow taxis speeding off with their passengers instead of listening. It feels like the plane has plonked us down right in the middle of a movie set. Everything looks so different yet so familiar.
***
Everything is so huge. From the wide open highway to the billboards lining the roadside. The heart of New York is absolutely stunning. I'd expected the skyscrapers but I hadn't expected them to be quite so sky scraping. And I hadn't expected to see so many old buildings mixed in with the new. And the people are even more fascinating. The sidewalks are crowded with business people and Christmas shoppers. Just when I focus on one interesting looking character, another bursts into view.

I've been so caught up in sightseeing with Casey that I haven't realised the time. 5:53pm. I call a cab and hop in. I look at the Brooklyn bridge to my right and already we're going under the first arch. On the other side of the river, the Brooklyn skyline stands solid and brown against the pale sky. My panicky situation had passed, like a cloud skimming across the sun.

Once we get to Brooklyn, the cab pulls into a residential street lined with trees. The houses are all four storeys high and made of brownstone. We stop outside a house half way down. A flight of steep stone steps lead up to a bright red door. A Christmas wreath made of holly and mistletoe hangs in the centre of the door and a miniature stone santa is standing at the top of the steps, grinning down at me.
"Wow." I mumble.

As I get out of the cab, my head fills with fearful thoughts.
What if you're invading Hiccup's family Christmas? What if it's really awkward and we don't get along?
But before I can torture myself anymore, the door of the house opens and Hiccup steps out and we instantly make eye contact.

I grab my suitcase and say a "hey" softly.

"Come in" He says and gestures into the house.

The house is straight from a
Cosy feel good American movie. The hallway is the size of a living room. A beautiful grandfather clock stands in the corner next to a wide staircase. Hiccup leads me through an archway on the left into a huge but really homey kitchen.

"So..." I start. "Where's your family?"

I instantly regret asking because I can tell Hiccup's feeling rather uncomfortable and shifty.
"Well my brother is back at home, my dad works a lot and my mum died when I was two years ago. They're the only family I've known my whole life. So it's just me and you during Christmas and my dad too if we're lucky."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I'm pretty used to it by now. Anyway, you get the guest room to sleep in of course. You can go put your bag inside then help me decorate the tree? I- I mean if you want to. You don't have to if you don't want to."

"Sure. Just um, where is the guest room?"

"Oh the first room at the top of the stairs at the right. It's next to the door with my name on it."

"Thanks." I awkwardly yank my suitcase up the flight of stairs and put it into the room.

This is going to be a long trip.
♪───O(≧≦)O────♪
Ello! How y'all doing? I feel like these chapters are weird. I just have that feeling...

Well until next time,
PEACE ✌🏼