Chapter 14: A Picnic?

When I wake up the next day, I have that Christmas morning feeling. Like I know before I've opened my eyes that something really lovely is going to happen before I've remembered what it is. And then in seconds, it all comes flooding back. Hiccup.

I open my eyes and have a shower, then I sit cross legged on the bed with a towel around my wet hair and open my laptop. My Skype messages come flooding in, mostly from Casey, some from my mum and one from Hiccup.

HICCUP: Hey. Gone out for the day, I know you're going out sightseeing today but have you looked outside?

ASTRID: No why? Has the moon turned green or something?

I go up to the window and pull back the curtains. Feathery flakes of snow are tumbling from the sky. The buildings around look like they've been sprinkled with icing sugar.

ASTRID: Looks beautiful!

HICCUP: I know! Now it really feels like Christmas. Have a great day and see you tonight!

***
Even though I thought it was going to be the slowest, dullest day in history just because I'm so excited to see Hiccup, the day is actually going really well. I went to a couple of museums, met up with Casey for lunch and toured the city with her.

But now I'm back at Hiccup's house and about to go to sleep after a tiring day when I notice him just standing there.
Hiccup's wearing black skinny jeans and a scuffed leather jacket over a pale grey hoodie. Very unlike him I suppose. His hair looks shinier and softer than yesterday, like it's freshly washed, and his eyes look even greener than I remember them. As he starts to smile the dorky smile, I can't decide whether u want to hug him or take a picture of him.
"I was wondering if you'd like to accompany me on a picnic?" He says in a fake posh voice.

"A picnic?"

"Uh huh. But not just any old picnic."

"Oh no?" I say playing along.

"Nope. A moonlit picnic. In the backyard."

"Really?"

"Really."

"I would be honoured." I say.

We laugh and look up at each other. The second our eyes meet I feel a kind of jolt inside. It's so powerful it almost takes my breath away.

Hiccup smiles and looks away. "It's good to see you not cooped up in the guest room."

"You're welcome." I say. I don't know why I say it. Well, I do. It's because I'm an international embarrassment waiting to happen, cursed by the gods of awkward moments.

"I'm welcome?"

"No"

"I'm not welcome?" Hiccup tilts his head to one side and grins at me.

"Yes you are, it's just I-I didn't mean to say that. I don't know what..." I turn away slightly, so he doesn't get third degree burns from the heat radiating from my face.
"I meant to say, thank you."

"You're welcome!" Hiccup says loudly and we both crack up laughing. "Come on."

He opens the back door and we step outside onto an expense of grass surrounded by a load of trees and fairy lights. He takes me over to a laid out picnic mat and a food basket.

Hiccup sits down from across me and opens the basket. He takes out some plates and some really fancy cutlery and various foods carefully wrapped in tin foil.

I watch, my mouth watering, as he unwraps the parcels to reveal a selection of beautiful hand made canapés, chocolate covered strawberries and fairy cakes.

"I was hoping it was going to be a clear night." Hiccup says, staring up at the dark sky. "I thought maybe we could see the moon again.

"It doesn't matter." I say. "This is already perfect."

He beckons to me across the picnic blanket. "Come here."

I get onto my knees and shuffle towards him. As soo. As I'm close enough, he grabs one of my hands. I feel giddy with anticipation.

Then his expression goes all serious. He looks at me and I feel a weird tugging feeling in the pit of my stomach. "So..." he says.

"So..." I echo back, my heart pounding.

He's so close I can see a tiny fleck of ink on the side of his face. His hand closed tighter around mine and this automatically pulls me even closer, until our faces are just centimetres apart.

I close my eyes to try to block out any possible panicky thoughts. And then I feel his lips on mind. As light as a feather. And soon, I feel myself kissing him back.

Somehow, miraculously, I seem to know what to do. And then he lets go of my hand and I feel his strong arms wrapping around me, pulling me even closer. As the kiss gets more intense, I feel as if I'm melting into him.
♪───O(≧≦)O────♪
Heyo! How y'all doing? This book is getting better and better I can feel it! In Ma belly! (Get it?)
Anyway,
Until next time,
PEACE ✌🏼