Chapter 16: Picnic numero Dos

It isn't until the afternoon that I realise I don't have a single Christmas present for anyone. Hiccup doesn't seem all that keen on going shopping, so I text Casey and head out to the local parade of stores with her. When she wasn't looking, I bought her a pack of scented candles that has one for every season of the year and a book about princesses for Bella. I decide to try a music shop for Hiccups gift even though I don't even know if he's into music, but I've walked past his room and saw countless musical instruments and CDs.

And then I'm reminded of how little I still know about him and I have a moment of panic. How can I feel so strongly about someone I've only literally just met? It doesn't make sense. I look over at Casey sheepishly who is looking at a rack of colourful guitars.

"Um. Casey?" I say.

"Yeah?"

"I'm not sure what kind of music hiccup'll like."

"Um pick something from this shelf. It's vinyl. I mean who doesn't like vinyl?"

I head over to the shelf Casey pointed at where there are racks and racks of records. As i flick through them and breathe in the smell, I smile. It's almost as good as the smell of new books. Almost but not quite. In the end I pick a record by someone called Big Bill Broonzy, just cause that name is awesome. I take the record over to the counter to pay.
***
When I get back to the house, I notice Hiccup isn't in his bedroom. But Bella comes bounding up to me and says
"He's waiting for you in the basement."

I nod and find the stairs that lead downstairs.

The basement is like my living room back at home, with a really relaxed and laid back vibe. There are two squishy sofas covered with cushions and throws, and a huge flat screen TV on the wall. Two brightly coloured lava lamps are bubbling away on side tables, casting the room in an orangey glow. The basement's way bigger than our living room, though, stretching back the entire length of the house. At the very far end, I can just make out a pool table. The tartan blanket is laid out in front of the sofas, covered in plates of the most amazing looking picnic food.

"This looks fantastic!" I say, turning to hiccup.

"Well, I figured after yesterday I needed to pull out all the stops." He says with a grin (I don't even know what that means I just wanted to write that XD) "I was wondering..."

"Yeah?"

"It's just that when I was little, the whole family would have this tradition on Christmas Eve and if you don't mind, I'd really like to do it again. I've never done it ever since, well when my mum died, my dad began distancing himself from me and my brother, but then Sam had to go to Uni, so that just left me."

"Of course we can. What is it?"

"We'd always watch the movie it's a wonderful life together."

So hiccup puts the movie on and we sit on the floor, leaning against the sofa, with the picnic spread out before us.

I've always loved black and white movies. Just like black and white photos, they seem so atmospheric, and much more dramatic. Hiccup shuffles up right next to me until our shoulders are touching. I don't think it would be possible to feel anymore content.

And it stays like this right until the bit towards the end of the movie when James Stewart is on the bridge calling out to his guardian angel that he doesn't want to die, that he wants to live again to see his wife and kids. Suddenly, I feel Hiccup pull away from me. I turn to look at him. In the flickering lights of the TV screen, I see that his cheek is wet. As if he's shed a tear.

"Hiccup? Are you okay?"

He quickly wipes his face with the back of his hand. "Yeah, of course. I guess I must've got something in my eye."

I sit frozen, unsure of what to do or say. Then it hits me. How much this film must mean to Hiccup. I crawl round so that I'm facing him. I'm not sure what to do. Then his eyes flick up and he gives me a small smile. But almost as soon as our eyes meet, he looks away again, embarrassed. I want to give him a hug but I don't know if that's what he would want.
"It's ok. Honestly." I say, gently placing my hands on his arms.

"I thought I'd be alright." Hiccup says, his head still down. "I thought it would be nice, watching it again."

I can't find the words to speak. What he's been through is horrible. So Huge, it feels like all the words in the world won't be able to make anything Better.

He sighs. "This was a really dumb idea."

"No it wasn't. I think it was a lovely idea."

"You do? Why?"

"I think it's a good way to keep your family's spirit of Christmas alive."

Up on the screen, James Stewart is now racing through the snow yelling, "Merry Christmas!" To everyone and everything.
"My mum would always start crying at this bit. And dad would always kiss her tears away." Hiccup says with a sad little laugh.

Without thinking, I lean forward and start kissing his face. His tears taste salty on my lips.
"It's okay." I whisper as I hold him tight. "It's okay."
♪───O(≧≦)O────♪
Whadup Peepadoodoos! This story is sadddddddd.
Well anyway, how's life? School? Family? Friends? Good?

Until next time,
PEACE ✌🏼