Chapter 23: Liar

I focus my gaze on Snotlout and try to ground myself. The world hasn't turned inside out and upside down. There has to be some kind of explanation for this. "I know him. In fact we all do."

"I know that, I've figured he's the same Hiccup Haddock that goes to our school, but Holly is convinced that shy nerdy kid who sits at the back isn't him."

I sit at my dressing table, my brain going into over drive. What did he mean, do I have a crush on him? And why did he say Hiccup was madly in love with Heather? That 'Heather' is a mega famous pop star.

I almost want to laugh. This is all so ridiculous. So unbelievable. Or is it? I feel a horrible sense of unease as the conversation I overheard between Hiccup and Stoick pops into my head. Was this what he was saying he ought to tell me? But it can't be. This is way to big. There's no way Hiccup could be famous, and have a girlfriend, without me knowing about it. Snotlout must have the wrong person. It must be a coincidence.

"Are you sure it's him?" I say.

Snotlout gets up and studies the picture. "Yeah definitely. He's got the same tattoo on his wrist."

"Oh -oh I think you should go. I need you to go right now. Sorry."
I push him out my room and direct him down the stairs and Out the front.

As soon as he's gone, I go straight over to my laptop, and google the name Hiccup Haddock. This has to be some stupid mistake.
"No!" I clap my hand to my mouth as a load of results come up. There's an image next to the second one. It's Hiccup holding up a guitar. I click on the link feeling sick to my stomach.
Sony Sign Internet Sensation Hiccup Haddock, the headline reads.

I click on the article, overcome with shock and disbelief. Apparently, about two years ago, Hiccup started posting songs on YouTube. He ended up getting over a million subscribers to his channel.
Then a couple of months ago the record label Sony signed him. I feel a burst of pride as I read a quote from an executive at the label talking about Hiccup's raw talent. And how excited they are to be producing his first album.

But then I remember what Snotlout said about Hiccup and Heather. Surely it's a mistake.

But I keep scrolling down and I see a couple of Heather's Tweets.

Chillin with @HiccupHaddock at Venice beach

Happy xmas @HiccupHaddock so looking forward to seeing you when I'm back from LA xo

With my baby @HiccupHaddock at the Sony xmas party xo

This one is attached to a photo of Heather standing behind Hiccup with her arms draped around him. It's dated the day before I met Hiccup. Seeing this actually makes me retch.

I text Casey and tell her I don't feel so good so we'll postpone instead.

I feel feverish with shock and embarrassment. But I can't stop the awful realisations from coming. The way he'd cut Antonio off in the cafe and hurried me out of there when we'd finished out lunch. I squirm as I remember how happy I was. Thinking he'd wanted to spend more time with me, but it had actually all been to protect his lie. I think of him, hugging me in the darkened corridor and how special that moment had felt and my embarrassment is replaced with fury.
"LIAR!" I yell, punching the wall. I go over to my dresser and tear the picture up into pieces.
"LIAR! LIAR! LIAR!"

I sink down to the floor, sobbing my heart out. I'd actually thought I'd escaped my curse. That I could be myself and be accepted and loved. But it was all based on lies and deceit. And to think I'd actually believed everything. I actually believed I'd fallen in love and met my soulmate. What was I thinking?

Then I hear a sound. An oddly familiar sound. The sound of a Skype call ending. I whip my head over to my laptop screen and just about make out the ending call screen with Hiccup?!
Then I remembered bashing my keyboard just before I got out of bed, I must've accidentally called him. That means he heard everything.
I knew my life was cursed.

I spent the next few hours unable to move. Unable to do anything apart from cry into my pillow.
------
Gee I don't know what's wrong with me, I go away for like a while then I make the story sadder....
Guys a lot of things are happening in my life right now that I prefer not to share. And I'm losing my interest to write any more chapters and such, I will complete this book eventually, but I don't think I'd write any more in the future. Count on me to finish this book sometime this year, but no promises. I'm sorry guys, ❤️

Until next time
PEACE ✌️