Chapter 11: Panic

Sorry for not posting yesterday I was busy

HICCUP
Well yesterday wasn't really a productive day for me. I stayed here the whole time cleaning and making it look presentable for Astrid.

Speaking of the devil, she's been in her room all morning and hasn't come out since after breakfast. I knock on the room door and she opens it after some shuffling around. As soon as we make eye contact, I notice how surprisingly cute she is. Her eyes are as blue as the ocean and they twinkle when she smiles. It makes me feel all strange and light, like I'm made of feathers and could drift away any minute.

But I end my daydream and say. "You hungry for lunch? I know a good place."

"Yep. Starving."

"Good. Come on, I'm driving."

We walk into the garage where my dad's spare car is parked. I take the car keys and press the unlock button. We get into the car and I put the key into the ignition before pulling out onto the street.

"So um Hiccup, if you were a musical instrument, what would it be?" Astrid asks out of the blue.

I realise that Astrid isn't a big fan of the standard small talk question. "A musical instrument?"

"Uh huh." A taxi goes zooming past us and I notice her close her eyes.

"A trumpet."

"Why a trumpet?"

"Because trumpets always sound happy."

"I see. So are you going to ask Me what instrument I would be?"

"If you were a musical instrument what would it be?" I ask.

"A cello" she says gripping the seat.

"Figures."

"Huh?"

"Cause cellos are always so beautiful and mysterious."

She opens her eyes wide enough to give me a sideways glance.

Then my face actually goes bright red.
Smooth Hiccup. Real smooth.

But I notice Astrid start breathing really quickly. My immediate thought was
Great this is what happens when I talk to girls.

But I pull over anyway and ask
"Are you okay?"

She nods her head and slowly opens her blue eyes fully. I stare at her with a worried look.

"Sorry." She says, her teeth starting to chatter. I lean into the back and fetch a fuzzy blanket.
"Here." I place it on her lap. "What happened?"

"I was in a car accident a while ago and ever since I've been getting these stupid panic attacks. I'm so sorry."

"That really sucks. You should've said something before we got into the car."

"I know but, to be honest I forgot. I was having such a good time yesterday I just lost it."

"You we're having a good time" I raised my eyebrow. "Really?"

She nods.

"So what do you want to do? Should I park the car somewhere and we can call a taxi? Do you want me to take you back home and we can order pizza?"

"No." She says. She looks a little lost for words so we just sit in silence for a bit.

"I've got an idea." I say, breaking the awkward silence.
Astrid looks at me hopefully.

"How about I take it real slow and I tell you everything that's coming up and warn you about anything that could make you panicky. It won't last forever you know?"

"What?"

"Feeling like that. Trust Me. You know the saying 'times a great healer? I hated that phrase the first time someone told me it. I thought it was just something people said to try to make you feel better. But it's true. Times a great healer."

"Thank you." She whispers.
***
ASTRID
We pull up in front of an expensive looking Italian restaurant and I immediately see a girl staring at Hiccup and talking suspiciously into her phone.

"Who's that?" I ask as we get out of the car.

Hiccup casts a brief look at the girl and pulls his hat down. "Never seen her before." He mutters, quickening his pace.

As we pass the girl, I glance at her.

"Omg it is him!" She says into her phone, still staring at Hiccup."

I frown. How does this girl recognise him and he doesn't even know who she is?

I feel a sudden pang of sorrow. What am I doing having fluttery feelings for someone like Hiccup? I saying this as the biggest loser in the school. I mean we've never acknowledged each other since we started at Springdale High and now I hit on him? For all I know he could have a girlfriend. Who knows what kind of life he leads under that nerdy cover?
♪───O(≧≦)O────♪
ah feels good to type a number of chapters in a single day. I'm like so accomplished now 😂
Until next time
PEACE ✌🏼