Ashes to Burn - Chapter Twenty-Eight

***This story is intended for mature audiences, as it contains graphic violence, gore, coarse language and some sexual content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised. 

December 24th, 2015 

08:00 hours

IRANR Outpost Station #45, Russia

I looked in the mirror as I pulled on my shirt. I combed through my longish brown hair and cracked my knuckles. I looked back at the bed where Mouse was still laying, sound asleep. Her legs were splayed out and she was lying on her front, snoring softly. I smiled as I grabbed my jacket off the hook. I made my way over to Mouse and gently kissed her forehead. I stroked her hair and she twitched, smiling slightly. She slowly blinked open her eyes to gaze up at me. She closed them again, this time a bigger grin spreading across her face. 

“You’re always up before me, too.” She mumbled, stretching. Mouse yawned before sitting upright, covering her body with the bed sheet. I sat on the edge of the bed and put a hand on her thigh. 

“I just love watching you sleep, in a non stalker-like way of course.” I said smugly, leaning in for a kiss. She pulled back, giggling.

“Morning breath, babe.” She said, pressing her finger against my lips. I rolled my eyes playfully and got up. 

“Fine. I’m going to talk to Andy. Sarge’s ceremony is today.” I said, my tone a little heavier. Mouse nodded and fell back onto the bed. 

I made my way over to the door and opened it. It was silent, as usual, with occasionally a few people here and there. I walked down the corridor with my hands stuffed in my pants pocket, nodding to the occasional soldier. I made it to headquarters and saw Jake in a heated discussion with Ali. 

Clyde, one of the brothers who helped me earlier when I was injured, approached them, his face strained with concern. He looked at Ali and then at Jake, saying something in a rushed voice. I didn’t realize I was staring until I saw Jake’s eyes connect with mine. This time, his expression was unreadable. I couldn’t tell whether he was pissed off or suspicious. I averted my gaze and decided to make my way up to Andy’s office. Jake eyed me the entire way.

I climbed the narrow stairs and finally made it to her office. I knocked on the door, waiting for her reply. I heard none, so I pushed open the door. 

I saw Andy leaning over the railing that overlooked HQ. She turned around to face me, her face dark with concern. I put my hands behind my back and clasped them together, strutting forward slowly.

“What’s wrong, Andy?” I asked her, calmly. Andy stepped forward, her eyes darting to the badge that I was wearing.

“Nothing. I was thinking about what happened with the machine - prototype A1. I spoke to Ali this morning and he’s going to give me a diagnostic report by the end of the day. Meanwhile, the preparations for Jennifer and Nycki’s funeral are in order.” She said, her voice sad and low. I looked at the door and took a deep breath.

“Let’s go then.”

A group of soldiers that were close to Sarge stood in the morgue. The analyzers that had done autopsy on her body finished covering her in a black sheet, before putting her in a cardboard casket. As soon as they loaded her on the belt, they gave us some time to share a few words before she was incinerated. Andy stepped forward, with one of the last remaining bibles, and read a passage from it. 

Once she was finished, we stood in silence as the bagpiper played the soulful tune of Amazing Graze, just like the one Jake played. We stood in silence and saluted her, before the men in white coats closed up the casket and pushed the button for the belt. I watched as Sarge’s body lit up in flames, causing an ember glow inside the incinerator. Finally, once the flames stopped covering her body, nothing was left, not even ashes. I sighed, a tear making its way down my weary cheeks. I felt Mouse’s hand clasp into mine as I looked into her eyes.