Ashes to Burn - Chapter Ten

***This story is intended for mature audiences, as it contains graphic violence, gore, coarse language and some sexual content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised. 

December 13th, 2015

13:00 hours

IRANR Outpost Station #45, Russia

I slowly opened my eyes, feeling well rested and stronger. I was wearing my uniform, but it was clean and ironed. The burning pain in my leg and chest was gone. I took a deep breath and felt a ghost of a smile paint itself across my face. I looked over to my side and saw a young man with shaggy bleached blond hair and blue eyes. He had a nice smile and a bit of facial hair. He clapped his hands together as I sat up to look at him.

“Feeling good?” He asked. He had a smooth voice with an Australian accent.

“Yes. Not to be rude, but who are you?” I asked. He laughed then nodded his head apologetically. He reached out his hand, in a hand shake.

“I’m third lieutenant Jacob Wilmer. I prefer to be called Jake, though. You are…?” He greeted me warmly, as I shook his hand and smiled.

“First lieutenant Julie Bedell.” I answered, pulling my hand back to my side. I got up and off the bed. 

It felt weird at first, being able to feel no pain as I put my feet down on the floor. It felt different, but I quickly adjusted. Jake lead me out of the door into the tunnel.

A tall, brawny man with a scar through his right eye past us. When he saw me, he grunted, then turned into another hallway. I frowned, looking at Jake.

“Who’s he?” I asked in a hushed voice. Jake snorted.

“Only the biggest cock in the entire world - Commander James Fields.” He replied with a smirk. He gave me a lazy smile, then led me through the corridor. I followed him through a series of tunnels, before he led me down the hall. 

“So, you’re one of the only leftover squads from the ambush at the western border, then?” He asked. I nodded looking around. The tunnels were dim lit, and at each entrance there was a soldier posted on guard. As we past them, they nodded towards us. I looked at Jake, who was still waiting for my response.

“Yeah. Never been swarmed like that. Pike sent in reinforcements, but they only got wiped out by those damned Russians. They had firepower like no other.” I said, swallowing. Jake nodded.

“I heard from James, who was in that fight, that when the jets flew over, the place looked like a human wasteland.” He said. I looked up at him.

“James is an airman?” I asked. Jake nodded, then stopped. He looked at me.

“You didn’t happen to find a girl named Rachel Shaw, did you?” He asked, his voice a hoarse whisper. I remembered the grim smile that she gave me before she blew that ridge of stitch punks to ashes. I took a deep breath and looked down.

“Yeah. She died a brave death, alongside her brother Martin.” I whispered. Jake sighed sadly, and I could see tears welling up in his eyes. I put a hand on his shoulder, and he nodded. We continued to walk through the tunnels in silence. All I could think about was Rachel, and how she took her life to save ours. How brave she was. I felt my own eyes well up with tears as I pictured her with Martin, standing side by side, together again. 

The way it was meant to be.

I snapped out of my thoughts as Jake led me into another tunnel. I could hear faint commotion on the other end. He looked down at me.

“Rachel was my cousin.” He said. I stayed silent, unsure of what to say. Jake stopped by a water station and grabbed a cup. He offered me one and I took it and drained the glass in two gulps. Jake put his cup in the trash and we continued to walk.