Ashes to Burn - Chapter One

***This story is intended for mature audiences, as it contains graphic violence, gore, coarse language and some sexual content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised. 

December 10th, 2015

18:00 hours

Somewhere over the Russian Federation

It was cold. It was rainy. It was a saturday evening. At least, I thought it was saturday. The snow turned to ice. The fire slowly simmered to a stop. The battle cries could still be heard even from over the mountaintop. I waited with Mouse, Derek, John, and Sarge, with our guns poised. We had to be ready. The cold swept in under our chins, and settled in our bodies. We had to move. I looked back at Sarge, gesturing to keep moving. She nodded and staggered forward slightly. I followed in behind her, my eyes wary on Mouse. I softly grabbed her hand, and she began to stir herself forward, with every aching muscle in her body. 

We camped out under a immobile car, trying to keep warm. I watched as Sarge lit a fire under the bonnet, the flames licking at her sleeves. I moved closer to Mouse and helped her over towards the fire. We were safe… for now.

“Some fight that was.” Sarge’s voice startled me. I nodded.

“Yeah, wiped out half our squad. Damn, these Russians got some firepower.” I replied, taking a sip from my water, then returning my hands to the flames. Mouse sneezed, then coughed. I looked over at her.

“Damn.” She scorned. I grabbed her water.

“Drink.” I placed the flask in her hand.

“I’m not thirsty.”

“She’s gonna get sick.” Derek cut in. I glanced at him as he loaded his gun up and tied the laces on his boot. I stood up.

“That’s encouraging, Derek.” I jeered. Sarge butt in.

“Enough!” She bellowed, but not loud enough for anyone in the radius of five kilometers could hear. Derek and I looked at her.

“Our squad has broken up. Look at us. There are millions of them, and five of us. Be rational. If we’re gonna stand a chance against ‘em, we’re gonna have to be more civilized. This is a war, not kiddie play. You can get that at home, Reese.” She snapped at Derek. I looked back at Mouse, who now made her way to the fire with John. 

“If we ever make it home…” Derek murmured. Sarge whipped around to face him, Derek looked up, his eyes defiant and narrowed. Sarge grabbed his jacket and held him at the side of the car. 

“What makes you think we won’t?!” She growled. Derek spat on the ground.

“Look at us, Sarge. We’re tired. Hurt. Vulnerable. We don’t stand no chance against these Nazi loving-”

“Shut up!” John interrupted suddenly. Sarge, Derek and I looked over at Mouse. She was hurling on the ground. I stepped beside her and grabbed the flask.

“What’s going on with her?!” Derek asked. Sarge shoved him aside and helped me with Mouse. 

“We have to get her to stop puking!” I said briskly.

“How, Julie?!”

"I don't know, just find a way, dammit!" I snarled. Mouse finally stopped her purging and started shaking. I wrapped my arms around her, tucking her head into my chest. We stayed like that for a bit, in silence as Derek, John and Sarge watched us. Finally Mouse feebly pushed her arms between us.

I let go of Mouse as she made her way between me and John. Mouse coughed and then burped. I looked at all the vomit on the ground and sighed. It was a close one. Mostly likely food poisoning. I looked at Sarge.