Ashes to Burn - Chapter Four

***This story is intended for mature audiences, as it contains graphic violence, gore, coarse language and some sexual content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised. 

December 12th, 2015

04:31 hours

Smolensk, Russia

The trip to the outpost was exhausting. Not that anything in the war wasn’t, but this was just more. Andy was recovering well, and she seemed to have been doing great at keeping the squad going. That’s the Andy that I’ve always known. A courageous leader. Hell, mom was right. She was strong, dependable. Trustworthy. Andy and I had been through a lot, it was horrible and painful at times, but she was always there for me. 

There was this one time in high school when I got teased for being gay. I remember coming home that day, crying, and then mom and Andy asking me what had happened. The next thing I knew Andy came from school, with a broken nose and a bloody lip. She didn’t say what had happened, but I knew what had gone down. Andy was suspended for a week for the harassment of her so called ‘peers’. She told me, before I went to school, to call her if shit went down, because she had a feisty left hook she could deliver if anyone was hungry. I gave her the biggest hug that day.

As I look at her now, my nerves still jump for some nostalgia of the old days. When Andy would guard me from anyone who tried to hurt me, and now, well, Andy guards all of fucking America. 

“Hey Julie, I’m sorry.” I heard Sarge’s broken voice behind me as she stumbled forward. She looked haggard and restless. Just like the rest of us, but a bit more.

“I went over the line, Sarge. It was my fault. It’s just been hard.” I looked painfully at her. Sarge’s eyes were blank. There were bits of leaves and dirt in her short blonde hair, and they bristled as she talked.

“Too hard.” She echoed. 

“I’m sorry for calling you a ‘blind bastard’. And for humiliating you in front of everyone.”

“I’m sorry I nearly led your sister to her death.” Sarge muttered softly. She was hurt, and so was I. Slowly, I cloaked my free arm around her and pulled her into me. Sarge may be tough on the outside, but inside, she was so fragile, so delicate. I hugged her and rubbed her back.

“Shake it off,” I said, “like old friends.” Sarge smiled weakly and nodded, hugging me back. 

Oh, Sarge, I thought, I wish this was over too. Everyone does. I let go of her and she moved to the head of the pack to talk with Derek. It was nearly dawn and we still had a lot more ground to cover until we reached the halfway point.

“Sarge?” I heard Derek pipe up from behind me. Sarge turned and gazed at him.

“Yes?”

“Could we take a break? I just want to review the map.” He grunted. Sarge’s shoulders sagged, but reluctantly she said yes. Derek opened up his map and started to talk with Sarge. I leaned against a boulder, slowly sitting myself down.

“I’ve missed you.” I heard Andy’s voice from behind me. I turned to face her as she sat down beside me. I curled up next her, remembering all the days we’d spend curled up by the fire, sleeping, or laughing, or just simply talking. I missed those days so bad. 

“I thought I lost you, Andy.” I cried into her shoulder. Andy looked down at me, with the same brown eyes as our mother, and kissed my forehead, bringing me into an embrace.

“It’s okay, I’m here now.” She murmured gently. I nodded and pressed closer to her. Her scent wafted up my nose and I smiled against her collarbone.