Ashes to Burn - Chapter Twenty-Four

***This story is intended for mature audiences, as it contains graphic violence, gore, coarse language and some sexual content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised. 

Date Unavailable

21:00 Hours

Location Unknown

I was walking in a dark forest. There was fog lying low amongst the pine trees. The air smelled fresh and the grass was wet with dew. I was wearing an ivory coat and jeans. My sneakers were worn and dirty, collecting water with ever step. I pulled my coat on tighter and crossed my arms against my chest. I don’t know where I was going but my feet would not stop treading me in the forward direction. I inhaled and exhaled, my breath coming out in a foggy mist. I looked around.

The forest looked much like the one from where I used to live with my parents. It was by Larchen Cove, on the beach. It bordered the cliffs that hung over the sandy surface. The trees were majestic and huge, providing shade to us on the warmest days. They had tall peaks and often eagles and hawks would use their branches for nests. I heard the chirping of birds and the rustling of grass as the wind slightly picked up.

Though it was dark and a fair bit mysterious, this land felt peaceful. It was untouched by weapons or bombs. It was natural, clean and pure. The pine trees were rich in color, dark brown and leafy green. Just the sounds of nature filled my ears. The quiet crickets in the bushes, or the odd rabbit running through. 

I walked through the forest, until I saw something. Two people were standing in front of me with blinding white outfits. They stood still and waiting, for my arrival. I picked up my pace and made my way over to them. I saw Rachel and Martin, holding hands looking grim and defeated. I finally approached them, stopping suddenly. Rachel looked up at me with sad eyes. She said nothing, only looked away. She and Martin turned around and broke out running. Confused, I began to follow them. 

I watched as slowly they faded from my sight. I went from running to sprinting as I scrambled over logs and fallen branches to get to them. I heard the screaming of children pierce my ears as I drew closer to them. I cupped my hands over my frozen ears to drown out the chilling sound. I pushed onwards to where Martin and Rachel were now standing, with their backs facing me, staring at something in the sky.

I finally came to halt behind them, breathing hard. The scent of night air and fresh water filled my nostrils. I stopped panting and gently nudged Rachel. She didn’t turn around or move a single bit. I tried Martin. The same response. Instead, I looked up to where they were looking. The night sky was clear, filled with stars sparkling down upon us. I smiled slightly at sight, for I hadn’t seen the stars in quite a long time. The moon was full and beautiful as always. It shone down a magnificent light upon us, dousing us with hope. I felt a fire kindle in my heart, and I pressed my hand against my chest.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” I breathed out, asking no one in particular. Rachel and Martin stood still, unmoving to my question. Puzzled, I shifted so I was facing them. I felt something in my heart snap as I saw their faces.

Martin’s lips were drawn open, as if he was screaming. His eyes were wide and his eyebrows were furrowed. He looked paralyzed. I turned to Rachel, who had a similar expression etched across her face. I turned back to where they were looking, and this time I saw nothing different. I turned back to face Martin and Rachel, but they were gone. 

“What…” I murmured, looking around, seeing if I could find them. I did, but they had shifted spots, so they were a few meters away from me. Frowning, I clambered over a log and made my way over to the two of them.

This time they weren’t standing, but they were sitting in the brush, with their legs crossed. They once again were still, like mannequins. I took a seat next to them, feeling the dew from the grass stain my jeans. I looked at their faces, which were now saddened and deep. I looked to where they were staring, which was straight ahead. I saw or heard nothing, just the beating of my heart and the ragged sounds of my breathing.