13 ✮ The Confession

The sucky thing about having a crush on someone is seeing them completely oblivious at the fact you have a crush on them. I mean I knew I could've just gone up to him, grabbed him by the collar, and expressed my undying emotions to him, but we all knew that it wasn't that easy. Nothing was ever easy.

"Will," Charlotte scooted closer to him. The light from the fireplace set an imminent shadow over her pretty appearance, "You have something on your face." She smiled sweetly and grabbed the little piece of graham cracker off his face. I looked away agonizingly to rid myself from staring at Charlotte taking off the leftover s'mores from Will's face. Of course, he thanked her politely and smiled at her like everything was okay. She'd been doing this all day long and he seemed almost unaware on what she was doing.

Everyone gave weird looks to us, but nobody dared to try to get involved in anything.

I shouldn't be feeling this possessiveness over him because this is what Will wanted right? He wanted his girlfriend back? He was doing all this for her. Why was I so stupid in thinking he would ever start liking me and we would get together and everything would be all lovey-dovey.

Stupid Shannon.

I had to remember that I was solely here to just be his fake girlfriend. I need to remember that he was in love with Charlotte and not me.

And that everything he was making me feel ... was fake.

I shot up from my seat and everyone's glare followed me. I could see Opaline pause from entering her gooey s'more into her mouth, "O-Oh, I feel very hot in front of this fire." I lied. "I'm just going catch some air and take a short walk."

"I'll go with you." Will got up from his seat (and surprisingly from Charlotte's grip). Everyone's eyes turned from mines to Will as if they were awaiting for something big to happen.

"No," I half-smiled and shook my head, "It's fine. I'm just going to get some fresh air for a bit." I walked away from the bonfire before he could say anything else and before anybody could say anything else.

I sighed when I finally was away from the group. These were the days when I missed being back at Los Angles. How did I get so caught up in this wealthy world and so tangled up in such an undoable plan?

A twig cracked behind me and I turned around, scared, until I saw someone inching their way towards me.

"Hey. Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to scare you." He picked up the twig he stepped on and threw it back into the ocean.

I watched as the moon lightened his face to make him more recognizable. "Oh. Hi, Derek."

He adjusted his sweater before he started walking with me. As the sound of the crackling fire became distant, the sound of the waves submerged us, "Opaline said you needed some space, but I highly object."

"She's really worried about you." He said when I didn't say anything. I turned his way, "She is?" I asked.

"Yeah, because she said you seemed"-He raised an eyebrow-"Not yourself this whole day. She kind of feels bad for dragging you here."

"I-I'm fine." I smiled, "Really." I said, but he clearly wasn't buying any of my false happiness.

It was silent for a while until he spoke, "How about I tell you a secret in exchange of you telling me a secret."

"Oh, really." I said. We continued walking underneath the wooden pier. It was weird that Derek was oddly comforting me since I've never really talked to him before. "Derick Montgomery actually has secrets?" I asked in wonderment.

"Yeah, you'd be surprised how much secrets we rich people have." He dug his hands in his pockets. "You'd be even more surprised how protective we'd become over our secrets since the Wealthy class is all about gossip."