8 ✮ Taffy

Thank you Guzzie (You know who you are)! This story is dedicated to you 

*

*

"Oh my gosh, Shan, let's check this place out!"

My Prescott's fiancé, Karen, dragged me through the crowd of tourists into a little jewelry shop. Let me tell you one thing, Karen (soon to be Prescott) was only 7 years older than me, but had the energy of a five year old child at a theme park.

As Will and his Uncle followed behind us like ducklings, Karen hauled me into every store and every bakery at this historic Old Town of San Diego. As much as I wanted to slowly admire the Mexican ambience of this town, Karen's dragging didn't allow me to.

As we entered the store, she quickly ran over to the glass case and gazed inside. After I finally caught up, I took a peek inside to see the prettiest jewelry I have ever seen. Each piece was completely different from each other, but they all shared the same single diamond

"Hi, welcome!" A woman appeared in front of us as Karen looked up at her with excitement in her eyes.

"How much are these?" She pointed at the circular pendant necklaces that had San Diego engraved on it.

"Actually," She took one out of the glass case and displayed it to us, "Right now, we're having a promotion for these necklaces so they are only 25 dollars plus tax. Also, only for today, we can engrave anything you like on the pendant for free."

Karen smiled huge after hearing the good sale and she waved to Mr. Prescott to come over to her, once he entered into the store.

"Babe," Karen cried out to him as he placed his hand around her waist, "You promised me a souvenir at San Diego and I think I found one that I really like." She exclaimed while the woman, working behind the counter, showed him the pendant. He was even amazed at how beautiful the necklace was that he nodded immediately.

"Anything for my beautiful bride," He smiled and pecked her cheek while she giggled like a teenager. She thanked him and the woman gave her a piece of paper to write what she wanted engraved onto the necklace.

I could see Will's reflection as he was gagging behind me and Mr. Prescott started laughing at him. "What, Will? Haven't you ever bought jewelry for a girl?" I could feel Mr. Prescott switching his gaze from a gagging Will to my face.

He suddenly spoke out. "Why don't you buy your girlfriend one too?"

"Yeah, Will!" Karen instantly agreed with her fiancé, "Look at poor, Shan. You got to treat her right or else she'll leave you." She winked at me and I shook my hands to signal that I was totally okay.

"O-oh no," I looked over at them, "It's okay, really. I don't want one" I reassured them. He only bought jewelry for the women he loved.

"Well, if you don't want one." Will shrugged his shoulders and walked out of the store. My mouth gaped open at his reaction and I just shook my head. Oh well, it wasn't like he was obligated to buy me something anyways. Even though, these necklaces were really pretty...

Mr. Prescott chuckled when he saw my expression. "Don't worry, Shannon. Even though Will could be real hard-headed and cruel sometimes, he's actually really caring deep inside."

"We're still talking about Will, right?" I joked.

"Believe it or not, when he was young, he once stopped in front of a moving car to save a cricket." I laughed imaging a young Will stopping in the middle of the street to save a cricket. It was hard to believe them.

Karen spoke next while handing the paper back to the woman, "Since all my years working at Prescott Industries, I could honestly say that Will is the most sweetest and most loyal boy I've ever met," She leaned in closer to me as if what she was going to say next was confidential, "He started acting harsh once his mother left him when he was young. He loved her so much and after that, he evidently started trusting people less. Mostly women. Too many women hurt him."