Chapter 70: Part two// "You're breaking my heart"

Chapter 70: Part two// "You're breaking my heart"

I shake my head, it can't be true. He can't be dying.

I drop down to my knees, I hear Elliott's mom cry at the surgeon's words. Her sobs shaking through the walls in the room.

I place both my hands on the floor to sturdy myself as I sob. My hand was over my mouth to stop the painful sounds I was making. My pain echoed through the room.

I wrap my arms around my stomach feeling so much pain.

"Miss this isn't good for..." A nurse comes rushing to me.

"You don't know what's good for me" I scream, thumping my fists against the floor.

It can't be true.

Life without Elliott, was a world without color. How can we all loose him after how hard we've worked to get him back?

It was the sudden crash that got me to look up.

Daniel had thrown a chair against the wall; he punches the wall repeatedly, the skin on his hand being cut at his own force.

His forehead was against the wall.

The doctor explains what went wrong and why they can't save him. I try and listen in but I don't understand. They should be able to save him. He is supposed to live.

In the great words of the Buddha "The trouble is you think you have time"

*

Everyone went in individually to say goodbye to Elliott as he has woken up from the anesthetics as too many people together can cause too much stress for the patient.

It's all just a matter of time before his heart will no longer be strong enough to beat.

I ask to go last because I need to compose myself. I can't be this shattered mess in front of him.

People are walking around but I sit blankly at one of the seats looking at a single spot on the floor.

Elliott's mom comes out the room in a shattered mess, as her other son, Jack's arms are around her guiding her in the right direction.

Jack's eyes meet mine and I see they are rimmed bright red. He's losing his only brother.

After a while the door of Elliott's room swings open and Daniel walks out. As the door closes behind him, he sinks to the wall beside it.

There's no way we can comfort each other. There are no words to say that will make things better.

I force myself to stand up and walk up to my brother.

"Daniel," I say softly.

"We were meant to go to Uni together, we were meant to make stupid decisions together. Cress do you know he had asked me to the best man at his wedding, at your wedding?" Daniel leans his head back against the wall.

"Yet now there won't be a wedding, Elliott won't live to be 19. He'll never get the chance to have kids like he always wanted. He won't get to study at some fancy math school. He won't be there for me" Daniel shut his eyes tightly as if he was trying to block out all the pain he was feeling. Even I knew it was impossible.

"He wants to see you. He wants you to be the last person he sees" Daniel comment.

I feel my chest tighten, as I go over to the door of his room and carefully place my hand on the metal of the door handle. I didn't think I had the strength to see him like this. So broken.

I slide the door open and he was already looking at me. His eyes light up like thousands of tiny crystals when he sees me. A smile erupting on his face.