58.0 - my light

*flashback - 4 yrs ago*

"The boss has a daughter," I say casually, watching her prepare breakfast for me. "It's just them two."

She appears more radiant today, glowing without any makeup. She's been happy lately, we've been happy. Things aren't like they were before, can't even compare. I couldn't be happier with anyone else.

"Oh yeah?" El places my plate down in front of me. "Is she young?"

"Who knows. I figure she's in her early twenties."

"Are they nice?"

I smile. "Sure, I guess. I'm just there to work, angel. Not to make friends."

Elena sips from her cup of cranberry juice. "You won't forget about us?"

I shake my head. "Of course not. You'll both be having fun with Lauren anyway, you won't have time to miss me."

I scoot closer to her and grab her hand, suddenly feeling like this is the wrong thing to do. I feel strange leaving her, my chest caves in when I think of not being close to her.

"You've always been understanding, always been there for me through whatever. You take care of me. You're a wonderful woman, Elena, and I appreciate you so much. I love you."

She looks down at our hands and then up at me, smiling brightly. "Zayn," she coos, "thank you. You know that I love you and that I'm always going to love you, no matter what happens."

It all comes rushing back to me and I remember so easily why I had fallen for her. Elena's nurturing way, her kindness, she always knew how to make me feel good. Her calm nature always kept me grounded. We never yelled at each other or went to sleep angry. What could I get angry at? This was pure bliss. Heaven.

"I promise i'll come back soon. We aren't going to lose track of each other."

"Will you come visit?"

I kiss her hand. "Of course. Nothing could keep me away."

"What if you meet someone else?"

I knew that weighed on her mind. She had been wanting to ask. "Even if I did, i'd forever try to turn them into you. Why do that when I can just keep you? I don't need a copy when I have the perfect, original already."