28.0 - me, her, & the moon

"Come on, love, we need to get ready."

Harry's voice is smooth and he smooths away the hair from my face, my eyes slowly opening. He gives me a little smile, contentment all over his features.

He had stayed up to pack everything while I took a nap before we had to leave. Amy was already up bright and early, running errands and she had gone to get me some clothes, my documents, and Harry's mail.

"Already?" I asked, my voice groggy.
He nodded, smiling sadly at my sleepiness. "We'll get breakfast on the way to the airport."

"Mm, where's Amy?" I sat up and stretched, feeling Harry's hand on my back, rubbing circles soothingly.

"In her room, probably making sure she has everything." Harry said, "You okay?"

I nodded yes, feeling surprisingly well even though I was tired. "Just nervous, but I'm okay. I'm excited."

He grinned. "Me too, honestly. I can't wait to just get there already. Do you have cigarettes and stuff still?"

"Amy left me two packs in the drawer yesterday, so I just need to put them in my bag."

It didn't feel as hectic once I brushed my teeth. After a quick shower and a change into some comfortable clothes, I felt less nervous about the trip. I had made it this far, that was what mattered. I woke up feeling like leaving my past behind would be possible, something that I never would have thought before. Everyone was in a optimistic mood, it was easy to tell as I heard Amy enter the hotel room and make excited conversation with Harry.

I was weary about leaving her behind. Something about her being close to him was making me anxious, I knew Zayn well. I didn't want anyone to get hurt and after how much time we spent together, I really wanted us to reunite in Berlin.

I stared at my reflection in the bathroom. I looked a lot better, I think, a lot more like myself again. Harry's necklace shone in the light, and as I thought about last night, I caught myself smiling.

"I'm ready," I said to myself, "I'm ready to start over."

---

I was surprised when thr day continued to run smoothly. We arrived at the airport early, so we had plenty of time to eat some breakfast and have a couple of cigarettes. It was rainy and gray outside, the weather not aiding my sleepiness.

I was so close, so close to a new life. Who would've thought that I'd be here?

"Promise you'll be careful," Amy had her hand on my knee, her eyes concerned. "Swear you will call me and keep me updated."

"You know that I will. We'll see each other soon, you know. Just please keep an eye on my house and do what we talked about, it would mean a lot."

She seemed to understand. "I'm on it already. Zayn has no more access to your accounts or your father's, and the firm is being handed over to your father's half brother, like you told me."

A huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I saw Harry off by the gift shop, not paying attention to me. I smiled to myself, a feeling of peace coming over my anxiety.

"I don't want Zayn close to my house either."

Amy agreed. "I talked to that guy who runs security, he's aware that he's not allowed near the property. Same with the building security. He's done, Ana. All we have left now is to make sure that he doesn't find you."

Harry made way towards us, whistling away. He sat near me and opened up a water bottle.

"We have a few more minutes. We should head over to the gate."

I stood, smoothing away the imaginary wrinkles on my gray sweatpants. I took a deep breath.

"Well, I suppose this is goodbye," I pouted, as Amy stood up.

Harry was beside me, looking pretty sad. I felt really guilty about leaving her behind, it just wasn't right of me. Amy assured me she knew it was for the best and all I could really do was trust her judgement.

"Flight 106 to JFK."

"There it is," Harry said wistfully.

I hugged Amy tight and sniffled, hoping we would reunite soon. "Thank you for everything."

"I would do it again," she answered.

Harry hugged her as well, but I was unable to hear what he told her. All I know is that I was surprised when she put my hand in his.

"Go, I don't want you to miss it. Call me when you leave JFK."

"We will. We should get to Germany at around 3 pm on Monday."

Harry gave my hand a squeeze and Any watched us make way towards the gate.

I felt like I was literally walking away from my past. It was so relieving. For once, I didn't have to be afraid or on edge, I could give myself a chance to be at ease.

We got last in the line at the gate, some people around us saying goodbye to loved ones and others waiting for it to move. Someday I'd return, I think. When everything was better, I'd move back into my house and throw away all the memories of the past.

Everything seemed to be in order once the attendant checked our passports and tickets. Everything was done. It was done. There was no way to go back and I didn't want there to be.

Harry pressed a kiss to my forehead and then to my lips. "Ready?"

"Yes."

Even with all the optimism in the world, even with all my unnatural good luck, I hurried through that hallway when I heard that voice call for me.

"Anastasia!"